1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV - control multiple DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by aeffen, Mar 29, 2010.

1. aeffen

aeffen Cool Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Is it possible with MRV to control multiple DVR units from one TV and DVR so you can set various DVR's to record different things without walking from room to room with a flow chart?:confused:

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Currently, the DVR's can only play and delete content from other receivers, there is no remote/unified scheduling.

Although, with one of the non-dvr receivers (H21, H23 or H24) you can schedule recordings on any remote DVR.

None of the receivers currently allow you to view remote TO DO or Series Link lists.

3. sammiemo

sammiemo Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    You can also set recordings on various DVRs using the iPhone app or the web-based programming guide.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No, but with MRV you can arrange your DVRs for certain types of items and watch anything anywhere.

For example, I have my main DVR doing the heavy work. Most series and important shows. My second (in the same room) does recurring shows that I don't care if I lose an episode (like trailer shows or sports highlights) and one off movies. The third in the bedroom is for the kind of stuff I usually watch before bed. Documentaries, British comedies (no commercial shows make it easier to doze off).

If I have a serious conflict with series for the main box, I dump it onto my second in the living room or my Tivo.

5. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    An "H" can set recordings on MRVd HRs..

6. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    This is the one I really want.....I always run into trying to record a program and BAM....two conflicts.....would be AWESOME if the DVR I'm trying to record on allows me to schedule this on a remote DVR that has no conflicts. :)

It's features like these that people may actually pay for MRV instead of just being a DirecTV version of a switch. IMHO.

7. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I don't see why they couldn't have it switch to the option for a networked DVR on the 3rd "Record" button press.....when on a program in the guide, press it once to record locally, press it twice to record the series and press a third time to bring up the remote record menu :D

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I doubt we've seen the last of the changes ...

9. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    Any insight ?.....this could really help me on my MRV decision.

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I've been thinking about giving up one of my HRs and replacing it with an H at my main viewing position so that I could do that. But as Doug says they aren't finished making changes yet so I'll sit tight and see how it all comes out. If it doesn't change then I will get an H.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    All I know is that there will be more functionality that will make MRV even better than it is today. What I can say is that I personally spend more time watching programs than managing programs so if it stopped at the current functionality, I am more than satisfied with a $3/month charge.

I'm kinda surprised that managing is more important than watching to you.

12. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I would like to see the HRx series have the ability to let what DVR you want to record to, just like the Hx series do Doug.

Why? Because I would like to rack mount a couple of my HR20-700 DVRs in the garage and have the ability to tell them to record programs from what ever HR or H I have in the house.

I think this is a feature that needs to come forth.

Edit: if -someone- would just happen to forward this to the powers that be, I would be elated. ;)

13. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    nu-uhh!
    Not an H20. :D

14. rosenhauer

rosenhauer Mentor

Mar 24, 2009
    He should have said that they have already announced that a H will be able to do that - it's still in testing but coming.

15. aeffen

aeffen Cool Member

Aug 4, 2005
    It would seem to me that it should be pretty simple to do it. There is already lsoftware out there like hamachi (freeware, I think) that allows you to control remote computers on the network.. If we can cause a recorded program to play on a remote dvr and delete it on a remote dvr, it should be relatively easy to allow us to program on a remote dvr.

16. sipester

sipester Mentor

Nov 9, 2006
    Now that the MRV is in place, I agree that there should be some sort of pooling concept, for both tuners and recording space. For maximum flexibility, one should be able to stack 4 or even up to 8 DVR's, and then put them behind a 4*4 or 8*8 HDMI matrix switch. It'd be expensive, but for the higher-end whole house set-ups, this would be the ideal scenario, but to work best they really need to get away from the individual DVR box concept and work to just treat both the tuners and HD's as one big "blob" In other words, 4 DVR should net you 8 tuners and 8TB of hard drive space to let you record to your heart's content, without worrying about duplicate recordings, tuner conflicts, or running out of space on any one DVR.

17. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Enter the HMC-30.

18. sipester

sipester Mentor

Nov 9, 2006
    Any word on the total number of tuners, HD space, or if you can combine more than 1 HMC-30? If the idea is to go to thin clients rather than having HD's & tuners at each TV, then the HMC-30 is a great idea. Just want to clarify if it would match or exceed the capability that one could have right now with 4 or 8 HD DVR's with MRV behind an HDMI matrix switch.