1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV For $3

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by WestDC, Feb 11, 2011.

1. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Is not so bad after all is it?

Time Warner Cable Expands Whole-Home DVR Availability
    Will Soon Be A $20 Add On For East Coast Customers
    by Karl Bode 11 minutes ago tags: prices · Video · business · hardware · alternatives · bandwidth · cable

Whole-home DVR functionality has quickly become a cable, satellite and telcoTV standard industry offer, the technology allowing you to manage centralized DVR content (and soon remotely stored content) from any set top in the home. Until now, Time Warner Cable had lagged on this front, only offering this functionality as part of their $180-$190 "Signature Home" high end bundle. That's about to change, as the company is preparing to launch the service as a standalone option for East Coast customers at $20 a month, according to Multichannel News. Time Warner Cable's Whole House DVR uses either the Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Motorola DCX3400M or the Samsung SMT-H3272 -- and then allows remote playback to the company's non-DVR set top counterparts, the Cisco Explorer 4642HDC, Motorola DCX3200M and Samsung SMT-H3262.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-Expands-WholeHome-DVR-Availability-112687

2. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    LOL

It makes the people that are/were whining about $3 per months seem even more ridiculous.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yikes, $20 and a lot of us couldn't even use it for what we do use it for, spreading things over multiple DVRs. Of course I think their DVR fee is per box, not account.

But that price is insane.

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    EXACTLY!!!

That is why I couldn't believe people were bitchin about $3/month as they stop by their local tavern and have a couple of beers for $6/day. You can afford what you want to afford by a process called Rationalization!!! :lol:

$20 makes me feel really Smart as I am only paying $3/month!!! I feel better already!!!

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Especially when you consider the much greater availability of demand content available through most terrestrial carriers.

6. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    SHHHHH! Let's not give DirecTV any ideas...

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    They have to charge that much to pay for all that crack they are smoking :lol:

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And add that to their fees of what, 18 to 20 a month, per receiver! Yeah, and peopel still think cable is cheaper.. Amazing.

9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You know whats even cheaper? Just walking to the other tv!!! :D Seriously, I'm willing to pay money for stuff, but $3/month to save a 2 second walk to the living room? Really? :D

Besides, I don't consider MRV to be the same thing as WHDVR, so comparing the two is a bit wrong.

10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    My parents have time warner cable and they were shocked when they went to add a second dvr and found out it costs $20/month.

I think DirecTV is a tad overpriced (by like $10 - 15 / month), but at least they only charge once per household for DVR.

I'm sure DTV is pretty mad. They had DVRs before cable (I think) and didn't realize they could charge so much :). Cable doesn't charge you for boxes though, so cable IS cheaper for about the first year :D.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Whole Home DVR is the marketing name, but it's not really any different than multiroom viewing. You can walk to any room and your playlist includes everything from the home. There isn't really a comparison because they do pretty much the same thing and there's no reason to NOT call it the same thing in my mind.

Now as for your 2-second walk ..

If I were the only person in the house, maybe, but when there are multiple people who watch a lot of the same programs, but at different times, having the convenience of the same play list in any room is huge. Heck, if someone is asleep in the room with the DVR I want to use what other option would I have? And lastly .. my "cool" TV is in the family room. The less than "cool" TV is in the bedroom. What if I just decide I want to watch my program on the "cool" TV? That 2 second walk (more like 10 seconds, BTW) wouldn't do me one bit of good in that situation.

Besides, That $3/month fee for me was (1) offset by the reduction of one receiver which really saved me $2/month at the time - and (2) is about 18 miles per month in gas money.

$3/month is simply nothing to get worked up over.

12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Isn't MRV = "let rcvr 2 play stuff from rcvr 1's playlist" vs WHDVR = "let every rcvr store stuff on the same one master hd, but each rcvr can still watch live"???. I could have sworn I read DTV was doing something like that??? Could have sworn they showed that at CES. You essentially have non dvr boxes at each tv and they all dvr on the one server.

Maybe I got a bad batch of weed or something :D

13. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't see how the end result is any different other than the number of tuners that are recording. You still have one "master" list and each location can view programming from the entire list. Regardless of the methodology, the result is the same.

14. SBI

SBI AllStar

Feb 20, 2004
    People's...
    Exactly. I won't be surprised if we start seeing similar costs with D* pretty soon when they learn that "they can".

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Disagree, just because a competitor charges more doesn't mean that the fee is good.

16. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    And when that $3 fee goes to $5, $7 or more a month because they know they can get it the same cheerleaders here will happily pay it because it's Directv.

17. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yep.

18. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Shoot, let's go ahead and make it $25 now so that everyone can be really, really happy. :rolleyes: