1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV...for those who have NEVER had it..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tpayne105, May 15, 2010.

1. tpayne105

tpayne105 Legend

Aug 28, 2006
    Long Directv subscriber that has never done the MRV. I would like to do it. I read the threads but I am confused, along with many others, I am guessing on the abbreviations...

DECA, SWiM....all of those....

How does someone like me, us the MRV feature? Do I have to hook up all of my receivers with my internet home network? Or will just one work? What if I have receivers that are NOT HD receivers?

I have looked and could not find out how to do it. I do have two HD receivers (HR 20/100 and a HR 22/100)....what do I need to do???

Thanks as always for your great help..

Todd

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Right now the easiest would be to connect a hardwire network to each, either directly or through your router.
    Then you can opt-in to multi room viewing in the setup menu.
    If using a hardwire connection isn't an option, the DirecTV Ethernet over Coax Adapter [DECA] will use your coax to network them.
    Single Wire Multiswitch is needed to free up the frequencies that DECA uses.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    To do MRV only, you just need to connect the two receivers with an ethernet cable (or go the SWM + DECA route). A connection to your network is only required for On Demand, Media Share or Directv2PC.

4. tpayne105

tpayne105 Legend

Aug 28, 2006
    So if I connect each receiver to my internet network, I will be set???

Thanks again

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Until May 20th when the free Beta ends.

6. tpayne105

tpayne105 Legend

Aug 28, 2006
    Then we have to call and order it to keep it right? $3 a month? BUT use the same set up? Just network cables..

I am sorry to be asking so much

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Hey it looks just like you came late to this "party". :lol:

On or before May 20th, you can either go for the supported networking [DECA/connected home] which costs $99 + $49 service call, or follow the steps listed in a sticky at the top of this forum, that Doug has put there.
    Using your home network is more like a backdoor loophole and is unsupported from DirecTV, though both options will cost $3/month.

8. Spoffo

Spoffo Legend

Dec 31, 2006
    Yes and no. MRV requires a very clean, consistent high speed connection. Most wireless really won't work (random picture breakups and freezes, plus crashes in response to trick play requests) and even some hard-wired ethernet setups have problems.

The beauty of DECA is that it provides a clean receiver-to-receiver connection that is separate from most of the computer-generated traffic on your "regular" home network. Plus, Direct is able to optimize receiver performance for this specific hardware. (In the CE and beta days, the forums were full of reports of certain brands of routers and bridges that did or didn't work with MRV.)

I finally got MRV working flawlessly with an odd combination of networking gear, but it was a long, painful slog getting there. (See my profile below.) And, it cost a lot more than $99 to get that network working right. Unless you just LOVE experimenting with technology and battling through computer-type problems, I would strongly recommend having Direct do the DECA upgrade.