1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Rage187, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Rage187

Rage187 Mentor

Oct 27, 2007
    Installer came yesterday to add a HR24-100 and MRV.

My setup is

HR20-700 x 2
    HR24-100 x 1

MRV does not work though.

1 HR20 says it is ready to go but there are no other shared DVRs
    1 HR24 says it is ready to go but there are no other shared DVRs
    1 HR20 says it is not authorized when checking MRV status

Both HR20s are on 03df
    HR24 is on 40d

From the dish setup screen:
    Dish Type = 18: Slimline-5S (SWM)
    Switch Type = 01: SWM

I tried to force the software update on the HR20s but no dice, they just redownload 3df.

I have reset all the boxes.
    All boxes have different locations names and are shared out.
    Both HR20s have DECA boxes and all 3 lights are on.
    I have called Directv and had them send the authorization to the one box but no luck there either.

The installer was very friendly and gave me his cell number. He is going to talk it out with his peers and see what they can come up with. He said he would try to swing by tomorrow once he finishes his assigned route.

I would love to fix this myself though. I'd even be ok if I could just get the HR20s talking.

Any help, is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Additional info from Guide+>

Coax Network says:

Active network interface is Ethernet
    Hence DHN tests can not be performed

How can I change it to coax instead of ethernet? I am unable to change the switch or dish type(both are greyed out) which I think would the fix, at least to get the one HR24 talking to the authorized HR20.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    OK on the 24, you need to re-run the SAT setup and select the SWiM you have and after this reboot the receiver to get the DECA turned back on. Make sure there is no ethernet connected to the 24, since this turns it off.

"Both HR20s have DECA boxes and all 3 lights are on."

Hope these are green.

How or do these have any internet connection to a router? This needs another DECA and if not, it tends to make them slow to find other DVRs, but they do if you wait and wait.

3. Rage187

Rage187 Mentor

Oct 27, 2007
    Nevermind, fixed it :)

The HR24s ethernet cable for DoD was throwing it off. Unplugged the cable, reset the HR24 and blammo, all 3 boxes working.

Guess no DoD, no biggie.

4. Rage187

Rage187 Mentor

Oct 27, 2007
    :) Fixed it as you typed this. You were right on, the ethernet on the HR24 was throwing it off.

Thanks again for the help.

5. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
  6. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    I got this message on youtube when I clicked on your link: "The URL contained a malformed video ID"

7. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    AS VOS asked, is this connected: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=182828 (?), you'll need one to get VOD to all your DVRs w/o killing MRV.

You can also use a regular DECA configured similar to this: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2466259#post2466259

Sounds like you proved the DECA cloud is working, just don't plug the ETHERNET cable to the HR24 unless you want to go back to all ETHERNET and run ETHERNET to all three DVRs.

8. Rage187

Rage187 Mentor

Oct 27, 2007
    I have 2 of the white deca boxes. One on each hr20. The deca box downstairs is also hooked up to the Swm power box. Each cat5 cable on the deca boxes goes to the ethernet port on the hr20.

So, I need one more, and that deca box will be connected to the router?

Sorry if that is a dumb question. Just making sure I am reading the diagrams correctly.

9. Rage187

Rage187 Mentor

Oct 27, 2007
    Ok, that is exactly what I need. One more deca module connected to the router.

Thank you everyone for the links and video.

10. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Please help me understand what's connected to "The DECA box downstairs". Is this connected to one one the HR20-700s. If you're asking if it's OK to use the dual coax PI to power your SWiM and feed coax to your HR20-700, that's fine.

To answer your question, yes; you'll need the third DECA with a DECA power supply to feed the INTERNET connection to your DVRs to get VOD and and TV APPS back w/o breaking MRV. Most likely, you'll need another coax ran to your router to make this happen, or if more convenient, a green labeled 2-way splitter from one of your DVRs will also work.

Directv will offer to do this for you for $25 plus installation. If it was missed on the order, due to what appears to be some confusion on the installer's part, it may be credited. You have his number; give him a callback. Ask him to check his notes or inquire about the Broad Band DECA or Internet Connection Kit for the WHD.