1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV Install Soon - Is this going to work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Sim-X, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    I have an MRV appointment setup in a couple weeks and want to make sure everything is going to work ok. I attached a picture of my current setup. (The H23 is currently unplugged but is wired)

I decided to keep an HR22 (was suppose to replace by HR24) at least for the time being. By keeping it it put me over 8 tuners and now I'm at 9. I called DTV to ask about upgrading to SWM16 system. Of course they can't order anything in specific. I then asked about MRV since I wanted to get that as well and the rep said I might be better off going that route since they *should* give me everything I need to get everything connected during MRV install.

So as of right now I have an appointment just for MRV install at which time I'm hoping they will upgrade my system so it can handle more than 8 tuners since they would have to in order to get everything connected. I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Now the 2 way splitter is actually located on the outside of the house. Reason being so I can have an extra jack hooked up downstairs. My concern is having splitters on MRV. I don't need this extra jack hooked up, it's nice to have but I would rather have better performance than an extra jack I only use every now and then.

The PI & 8-way is located inside the house in the basement. There is 1 cable that runs from the basement to the outside junction. The 8-way feeds the rest of the house.

Would it be possible to upgrade to a SWM16 with my setup? My concern is there is only 1 cable running from the outside of the house to the inside where the drop is. Running more cables from the outside junction to the drop inside the house is not a very good option. So if this is needed I will have to set one of the DVR's to 1 tuner.

What kind of LNB is used on a SWM16 system? My current LNB is a SL3-SWM so I don't have any switches inside the house since it's built in to the LNB. I don't know to much about SWM16 if these are just separate switches or built into the LNB.

I also want to feed internet to the IRD's. My router is located in a bedroom next to the HR24. So I would need to add a splitter there, one for the HR24 and one for the router. That being said would I have to dump my 1st two way splitter in in order for everything to work correctly?

I'm just trying to figure out if a SWM16 will work with my setup and if it won't work should I just dump the 1st 2 way splitter since I would be adding another splitter next to the HR24. Either way I would like to get MRV, it would be nice to have all 9 tuners hooked up but I can certainly live with 8 if it would be too complicated to get a SWM16.

[​IMG]

2. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    You are going to need a 4 line KA/KU LNB3 - 4 lines from the dish to the SWM 16 which will then feed two 4/8 way swm splitters. Everything but the LNB will be green label. Other than that it will be pictured pretty much like you have it laid out now.

If your getting the broadband networked in, then their will be another line fed into one of the SWM splitters.

The real question, is it going to be possible to get 3 more cables to where your juncture is?

3. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    There isn't a problem running more cable from the dish to the outside junction, but like I said there is only 1 cable that runs from the outside junction to the inside junction which is where the main drop is. They wouldn't wanna put that switch outside would they? Even if they did put it outside all of the tuners would still be pulling from the inside junction and none on the outside.

As you can see in the picture, the 2-way splitter is in the outside junction right now and the cable that connects the 2-way to the PI is the 1 cable that runs from the inside drop to the outside of the house. I can get rid of the 2-way if needed (I just keep an extra jack live if I move a box around) but there would still only be 1 cable running from the outside of the house to the inside basement.

Not sure if this is going to work now since it looks like I need 2 lines running from the outside junction to the inside drop where all 9 tuners would be trying to pull from.

I am gonna see when I get home how hard it would be to run another cable from the outside junction to the inside, but since everything in the basement is finished not sure how easy this would be.

So after reading around a little bit looks like I would need my LNB swapped and a switch put out by the outside junction where 4 cables could easily be ran from the outside junction to the dish. The hard part would be running a second cable to the inside drop which I will look at when I get home. If I could get a 2nd cable to connect the outside to the inside I could keep the PI inside and the switch outside right?

4. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The SWM Multi-switch needs 4 lines from the dish which can be mounted outside. Next 2 lines from the SWM 16 will need to run to the inside junction/onq.

So yes, if you only have 1 cable running inside you will need a second to accommodate 9 tuners.

5. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks for the reply, not sure how realistic it is to run another cable but I will ask the installer what he thinks. If he thinks he can fish it through I will prob have him try or just live with 8 tuners which isn't the end of the world. Now let's say we do run another cable to the inside junction do you think that will affect performance of mrv? I would say the run from the inside junction to the outside is maybe 50 ft or so? However all the boxes would be hooked up in the inside junction not the outside. Does mrv data pass through the switch itself or would it just pass data through the splitters?

6. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    What floor is your juncture inside the home on. Usually they are fishable unless they are on the middle floor of a 3 story home.

If it is on the first floor do you have a crawlspace? Is your juncture an OnQ type panel?

What directly above and below the juncture. Is their attic or crawlspace?

7. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009

Well the junction inside the house is located in the basement of the home (it's a 2story home) where the water heater and furnace is. There is just a bunch of cables that drop down there. I have most of these cables labeled, the downstairs junction feeds the main level DVR and 2 upstairs bedrooms.

The basement is a finished basement but I went and checked it out last night (the furnace room where the drop is located is not finished) and I think the cable runs in between the ceiling of the basement and below the floor of the main level would be my guess to the outside junction.

What I was thinking though I suppose I could just have him put the switch on the outside of the house on the outside junction.

If you look at my picture, the extra jack that I keep live that jack actually connects to the splitter on the outside junction. So I guess I would even need more tuners ran to the inside unless I wanna feed more lines on the inside junction which I don't think I need to.

The house is wired a little goofy, when we moved in the previous home owner had DirecTV at some point in time. The house was built in the early 2000's so SWM wasn't out yet. I think what happened was some of the bedrooms in the home were pre-wired with RD-6 which run to the downstairs drop.

When the previous owner had DTV installed there were new lines and jacks put a few different places in the house. So for example my extra jack I keep live, the jack runs directly to the outside junction. (that's why I have the 2-way splitter on the outside) Another jack in the home I use for my cable modem which runs directly to the outside junction that connects directly into the cable feed.

So what I can prob do is have him hook up some of the jacks that go to the outside junction. I know which jacks they are in the house so it shouldn't be a problem. My extra jack I want to keep live goes to the outside junction anyway. So I can connect the 4 DVRS to the drop in the basement and keep my extra HD BOX hooked up to the extra jack which the extra jack connects in the outside junction. For this to work I would need the switch to be kept outside and the PI would be located inside so as long as this would be ok it should be good to go.

So would they replace my current SL3-SWM LNB with just a SL3? Does a SWM16 need 4 lines ran to it from the dish or can you get away with 2? It really doesn't matter, running more lines from the dish to the outside junction wont' be a problem I'm just curious since I have never hooked up or seen any kinda DTV switch. There is only 1 line ran from the dish to the outside junction right now since the LNB has SWM built in. All the wiring diagrams I have seen are for hooking up a SL5 to a SWM, can you use a SL3 with a SWM16 and which ports would it connect to and how many lines?

8. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    What I would suggest since you already have to run one extra line, if possible go ahead and run all 4 inside to the basement and put the SWM 16 MS there. It's a lot better / neater inside than out. Also, it eliminates the rain factor and will be easy to install.

That call is yours. It can be done with just 2 lines to the basement but like I said, I recommend 4.

9. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Yea I don't think it would be a very good option running 4 lines to the basement. 4 Lines 2 that outside junction would be no problem.

What about this

[​IMG]

What if we were just to swap out the 2-way splitter with a SWM16 switch? The switch would be by the outside junction and then an 8 way would be inside like it is now. Then another 8-way would be located in the outside junction connecting the extra outlet I would then put my extra HD-Box on that outlet. The cable that connects the 2-way splitter to the PI is the 1 cable that connects the outside junction with the inside one.

Like I said running 4 cables from the LNB to the outside junction is not a problem at all. So do all 4 cables still need to be ran with a SL3 LNB? I could only find diagrams showing the wiring of a 5LNB and not sure if they are wired to the switch the same.

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That would work, but since one half of the SWM16 is only feeding a single receiver, it wouldn't need a splitter. Both the SL5 and SL3 have 4 cables which would run to the SWM16.

11. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Awesome, I think I will do that them - or at least talk with the installer and see if that is his plan. I wasn't sure if you still needed a splitter or could hook it right into the switch itself but yea I wouldn't need a splitter then.

So what exactly is carried down each of the 4 cables? I would have thought the SL3 would have less.

DTV is *suppose* to be out sat - hopefully everything goes ok. I will let you know how everything works once it is in.

12. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The four lines that come from the KA/KU LNB 3 or 5 is this.

1 line - 13volts - Even Transponders 101/99 Sat.
    2 line - 18volts - Odd Transponders 101/99 Sat.
    3 line - 13volts - Even Transponders 103/110/119 Sat.
    4 line - 18volts - Odd Transponders 103/110/119 Sat.

The multiswitch doesn't split any thing really, but instead directs traffic. If 1 receiver tunes to stand def ESPN then it will be routed to either the 1st or 2nd line.

If another receiver tunes to HD ESPN it will be routed to either the 3rd or 4th line.

edit: The only difference in the LNB 5 and LNB 3 is that the LNB 5 has 2 more LNB's that pickup the 110/119 (Spanish Channels / Some international / Some Locals)

13. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Thank you for that wonderful explanation :) - I was just curious

14. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks Manctech for your help. I got my MRV install done yesterday and I don't think it could have gone any better. Time window was 12-4 and the installer called me a little after 8 to give me an aprox eta. I asked him when he called if he had a SWM16 with him(I had the rep note that on the work order), he said he stopped at the shop this morning and picked one up.

When he got here I showed him around and explained what cable went to where. At first he wasn't sure if a the SWM16 setup was going to work how I wanted it. He said he has only installed a couple and never installed one the way I wanted it installed. We ended up drawing out the wire plan and once we had it on paper he said that should work but he had never done it like that before.

He set everything up exactly how I wanted it done and I'm very happy with how it went.
    The SWM16 got mounted on the outside of the house and the LNB was swapped out for a regular SL3 and he ran new cables for a total of 4 to the new switch on the outside of the house.

He wasn't sure if he had to put a splitter off of one of the outputs on the switch but I told him it will work fine. So my extra jack (basement jack) goes right into the switch on the outside of the house. The other output on the switch runs into the house into a PI (he also swapped this out) which then goes into an 8-way. The 8-way feeds 4 DVRS to some of the bedrooms and main level.

There is also 1 2-way splitter after the 8-way that is used to connected the broadband deca since the router is in a bedroom next to one of the DVR's.

We fired everything up, everything saw each other and so far everything is working fantastic. Even the extra jack where I have an H23 hooked up can stream from any of the DVR's in the house and it looks great.

It was nice to work with a Tech who would listen. He actually said he was glad I did my homework on it and it made things go a lot easier for him.

I already got a survey call and rated him excellent ratings across the board.

The best part is I originally called to have them come out and just upgrade my system to support more tuners. After reading around it sounded like when you ordered MRV they would just give you whatever your system needed in order to get it to work. So this way I now have MRV and basically got a free upgrade to a SWM16 which that switch is pretty expensive to order yourself.

After he left I prob should have just had him install a 4-way splitter instead of an 8-way in the main drop since I'm feeding 4 DVR's all which use 1 cable.

I will prob just order a 4-way green splitter online and swap it out. MRV seems to work just fine even with an 8-way and a 2-way after the 8.

So thanks Manctech, mounting the switch outside we didn't have to fish any cables at all and running 3 new cables up to the ODU wasn't hard at all for him.

15. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009