1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV installation doubts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dleighton, May 22, 2010.

1. dleighton

dleighton Cool Member

Jan 12, 2007
    I just called DirecTV to have MRV activated/installed. The rep was very friendly and helpful, but I'm not sure I'm getting what I need. My HR21-700 currently has 2 coax lines directly from the dish and is network to my router. I have On Demand available on this DVR. My HR20-700 has 1 coax line directly from the dish and is not networked and cannot easily be networked. I have no SWM.

She said that since I already have 2 compatible DVRs and "seem to know what's going on" she is going to send me a DECA for the HR20 at no charge so I can install it myself. According to her, once the DECA is installed on the HR20 and MRV is activated, the 2 DVRs will be able to see each other. From what I've seen here on the forum, I don't think it's that simple. Any comments?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No, it won't be that simple. You'd be much better served with a full DECA upgrade, which would convert you to a SWM LNB, which will get that extra tuner working and get you networking over your existing coax.

3. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    You need to convert to a SWM system. DECA only works with SWM.

4. dleighton

dleighton Cool Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Called to DirecTV back to explain that I felt the first call didn't produce the correct results. This rep agreed and got me set up for the correct equipment (SWM and DECA). Because the 1st rep made some changes to my account stating that I already had the correct equipment (which I don't), the 2nd rep had some trouble placing the correct order. The end result is that she had to place an order that has a total cost about half of the normal cost, so I lucked out there. Installation is scheduled for tomorrow so we'll see if the guy shows up with the correct equipment.