1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV Issue/Installation question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Smidgerine, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Smidgerine

Smidgerine Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    I've had my MRV for a couple of days, and recently one of my receivers has been losing connection to the network. It says something ot that effect on one of my receivers. It is an original HR-20.

I'm trying to resolve why the installer's did a few things which probably don't really affect this situation, but I'm still wondering.

I've got 4 DVR's and 1 HD box, so they brought (I had to figure out with the help of the forum how to a hook it up) a SWM16.

Off of SWM-1 it goes upstairs to my power inserter. On the PI IRD link, there is a 1 to 4 Splitter. This splitter I don't really understand why htye've hooked up the way they have. One port goes to an HR24, Another port goes to a white DECA and hooks up to my gigabit switch, and another port goes to a 1 to 2 splitter that goes into an HR20 with one port going to one satellite input, and the other going into a white DECA and going to the other satellite input and also to the ethernet port. The final port of the 1 to 4 splitter is terminated. Is the 1 to 2 splitter even necessary? Couldn't these two ports just be on the 1 to 4 splitter since one port on the 1 to 4 is terminated and the other goes to the input of the 1 to splitter? This seems to just introduce unnecessary signal attenuation, IMO.

Also, in the location that's not seeing the whole MRV playlist and is losing the connection, they also have a 1 to 4 splitter with only two of the ports used. Again, one is going to the HR20 satellite input, and another is going to a white DECA unit that is going to the second satellite input as well as the ethernet port on the HR20. The other two ports are terminated. Again, this splitter seems to be overkill and just causing extra signal attenuation. I'm thinking of just moving the 1 to 2 splitter that is upstairs down to this location. But, I hate to go do this if there is a reason the installers have done it that way.

Also, any ideas to try to make the downstairs HR20 continuously able to see the whole home playlist?

Thanks!

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    OK this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177195 shows how and explains why the HR20-100s, if they are 20-100s that is, that you have are hooked up the way they are.

The reason they hooked the splitter to the HR24 and then to your gig switch is so that all your receivers will have access to the network for DoD.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Do you have anything coming from the SWiM-2 port on the SWiM-16? You can only have 8 tuners handled by each of the SWiM ports. Having more than 8 can cause some funky problems, including having receivers drop off and back on.

As for the 1 to 4 splitter going to a 1 to 2 splitter, make sure that your setup is how jody pointed out in the other thread. The 1 to 4 splitter should go to the DECA and after the DECA should be the 1 to 2 splitter that goes to SAT1 and SAT2.

- Merg

4. Smidgerine

Smidgerine Mentor

Jun 2, 2007
    Thanks, I'm pretty sure they hooked it up as Jody's B. scenario. I guess I still don't understand why you couldn't just put the two cables that come out of the 1 to 2 splitter as two of the four outputs on a 1 to 4 splitter and just forget about the extra splitter entirely. I should probably point out that the HR20 and HR24 that are upstairs are in a network closet so the PI, and the two splitters are all there in the same spot. Maybe there's something just weird with the HR20.

Since the DECA is hooked up to my switch, is there any reason I couldn't hook up a few of the receivers with just a straight ethernet connection and forget about the whole DECA box at those receivers where it's hooked up? I don't have ethernet run to all of the receivers, but I do have it to most of them.

Oh, and to answer the the question about whether I have something hooked to SWM-2:

SWM-1: HR20, HR24, DECA on HR20, DECA to switch
    SWM-2: HR20, HR24, H21, DECA on HR20, DECA on H21

So, I don't think I should have any tuner craziness because it looks like 4 on SWM-1, and 5 on SWM-2. Is that correct?

5. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You could run hard lines to the receivers if you wanted to but that would the "unsupported" way to use MRV. You are right in your tuner count.

6. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    The reason for connecting the SAT 2 port on the HR20-100s is to power the attached DECA. The 1 to 2 splitters allow power to pass on one leg and the SAT signal to pass to the SAT 1 port on the other leg.

It sounds like D* installed your setup correctly. If you look at all of your splitters, it is most liked that only one port on each will pass power. You don't want to try to power anything through non power passing ports, as that will not work.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The 1 to 2 splitter needs to be after the DECA. As jpitlick mentioned, that is so that the SAT signal is passed on to the receiver and also so that the DECA can be powered. This is only necessary on HR20-100's.

One thing you can try is to swap the DECA from the problem receiver with one of the other ones and see if the issue persists or switches to the other receiver. If the issue moves to the other receiver, then you probably have a defective DECA unit.

- Merg

8. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Are you getting any pop-ups stating something like this, "DVR (name/location) has been removed from network"? Using static IPs may be a remedy for this (use the advanced tab in main settings menu to select static IPs outside of your router's DHCP range; no reserved DHCP).

On the HR24s, you can run a coax diagnostics to verify SWiM/DECA integrity. On each HR24, hold the right arrow on front panel while pressing guide button and release both buttons. Under Coax, you'll see Phy levels and Phy rate Mesh. You can compare the results here:http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2524402#post2524402