1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by ghscott, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ghscott

ghscott New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I have searched for an answer here and not found it exactly, so I apologize if this has been addressed. I have had 4 visits from tech's that have no idea what is going on. I continue to drop the ability for my 2 DVR's to be seen by each other and my other HD receivers.

My last visit they even swapped out one of my DVR's as they thought that was the problem. If I reset every box, the sharing comes back for a little while and then I will get a message on each TV that it has lost connection to the DVR's.

If I turn sharing off the receivers can then see the 2 DVR's, but when sharing is on, they cannot be seen.

My equipment is:
    2 H24-100
    1 H21-200
    1 HR20-100
    1 HR21-700 (this is the one they swapped out on Wednesday)

I have a phone number with a Pin to call customer service to get this taken care of, but I have a feeling they won't know either.

I also read some things about VOD, and both DVR's have the Deca plugged into the top ethernet port, and I have the bottom ethernet port plugged into a wireless bridge on both for sharing media, streaming and VOD. Everyone that has come out has not seen this as a problem, but I don't know?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Using the bottom ethernet port to share the connection could cause a problem and isn't the approved way to bridge a connection to your home network (although it works for many people). The installer should instead have provided another DECA module (with power supply) for this purpose.

Try removing that ethernet connection to see if sharing reliability improves.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    +1 to bob...

In order to bridge to your local network (for VOD and Media Share), you should have an extra DECA and PI that is just used for that purpose.

- Merg

4. ghscott

ghscott New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I got to the bottom of my issue on accident, and hope this will help anyone with similar issues. It came down to my Ooma was screwing everything up. My Ooma was connected directly to my desktop in order to manage the badwidth of my calls. I had to put the Ooma outside of my router and this solved my problem.

I figured this out, as the Ooma was screwing with my homegroups on my Win7 devices. Once I took the Ooma out of the setup, my Win7 devices could see everything and my DVR's could see everything.

Good to go now!

5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    NO, you're not. :nono2:

There must be one, and only one, Ethernet connection to any receiver, and it must be the DECA. (There must be no Ethernet connections to any Hx24). To bridge to your home network requires another DECA with power supply, coax attached to a SWM splitter somewhere, and Ethernet attached to your home network somewhere.

Edit: I hesitate to mention this, since D* should do it right (and Case Management will certainly get you there), but this configuration on one of your DVRs would at least work reliably until you get another DECA and power supply: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2459468#post2459468 .

6. ghscott

ghscott New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Interesting, as so far so good...since I took the Ooma out of the question, this is the most reliable it has been. I also have PlayOn working on all of my receivers as well now, which is really nice.

Case Management is not here until tomorrow, so I am going to keep an eye on it, but so far it has passed that 24 hour period that haunted me in the past.

7. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    It doesn't matter that it appears to be working. It isn't installed correctly. :nono2:

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And as such, DirecTV might refuse to provide support to you if you need it in the future.

- Merg

9. ghscott

ghscott New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Point taken, I will have them out tomorrow to give me the needed components for an approved installation...4th time should be the charm.

10. ghscott

ghscott New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    We have an update for all of those that were concerned :lol:

Installer got here at 9:00 am, and he is supposed to be the best of the best. He tells me no one has any idea why these things sometimes work and sometimes don't. They are actually trained to just keep on resetting the boxes until they work!

By 11:30 am he is suggesting I go back to the setup that was working. I look at what he is trying to do (I had a plumber out as well, so I couldn't really be with him until the plumber left at 11:30) and suggest something, and all of the sudden it works with the "correct" setup that is supported by DirecTV.

He was trying to use my HR20-100 as the main networked DVR. He had the Deca going into the wireless bridge like he was supposed to and everytime he would try VOD or Media share, all of the receviers would lose contact with this one. I suggested that he try using the HR21-700 as the main networked DVR. Once he did this, everything worked seemlessly.

When I was messing around with them two days ago I realized this, but I guess I actually had to tell him. The moral of the story, the HR20-100 with Deca cannot be used as the main networked DVR in this type of a setup.

Now hopefully I am good to go. It is unbelievable that these people know nothing about their own equipment.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: What do you mean by "main networked DVR?" :confused:
    I've got three all DECA networked and NONE are the "main" one.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Hopefully, the ethernet cable going to the wireless bridge is not coming directly from the HR21. One of the coax cables should be split with one output going to a DECA for the HR21 and the other going to the DECA and PI that goes to the wireless adapter.

- Merg

13. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    It sounds like he is still using the 2nd ethernet port for internet connectivity. That is working from the HR21, but it is still not DirecTV approved. Why are the installers so clueless about this, we are quite a ways out from launch and still they do not know how bridge the deca network properly.

14. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Sorry, but have you been listening? :confused:

There is no such thing as a 'main networked DVR'.

Do you, or do you not, have a DECA that is not connected to any DVR, but instead to an independent power supply, your home network somehow and a SWM splitter? (That is, you have one more DECA than you have receivers)

Is anything that is not a DECA attached to any DVR Ethernet port?

15. ghscott

ghscott New Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Where the HR21-700 is I have a Deca connected to the ethernet port and coax, then to a splitter. Connected to that splitter is another Deca that is also connected to an outlet as well as wireless bridge...does that make sense.

Case Management called me and asked how it went, I told them it was a mess, but it works. They are not closing this out for another 5 days to make sure this works.

16. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    'It would be better' if coax from the (first) SWM splitter was run directly to somewhere a DECA could connect directly to wired Ethernet (which isn't always possible), but what you describe is 'legal' and will work.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, his setup is probably the most common for those that did not have a dual-cable setup to begin with in which the router is somewhat near a receiver. Although I realize he is using a wireless ethernet adapter, but in the overall scheme of things that shouldn't matter.

- Merg

18. ghscott

ghscott New Member

Jun 27, 2010

I see...too bad my router is far away. I actually have two wireless bridges in my house to extend the network to the DVR, a Blu-Ray Player, HD-DVD Player and Xbox 360...I have FIOS, and this is located in my office with no DirecTV coax in site.

I am just glad I am up and running on a supported solution, and will be talking with a Director, Evan, at case management tomorrow to tell him what a mess this has been!

Thanks for all the help on here, I think I should point Evan in the direction of this forum to learn a little about his own technology.

19. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Yes, but...

The install covers running new coax to the router from the SWM splitter (if that is practical) and connecting the DECA there. D* obviously can't expect customers to have a spare wireless bridge lying about.

DHCP, 'phoning home' and TV Apps shouldn't be a problem, but VOD, Media Share or DirecTV2PC could put a strain on wireless bandwidth.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That is true, but it in most cases running a coax to where the router is located is not always practical for a free, basic professional install. In most cases where someone is already using VOD, they will have an ethernet cable hooked up to at least one DVR. Since the cable is there, the easiest thing to do is to just split one of the coax runs to that receiver or if the receiver was already using a dual run, just using the extra coax run.

- Merg