1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

MRV/LAN bridging: Final Answer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Kapeman, May 13, 2010.

1. Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    I have seen conflicting answers on this so I will start a new thread about it.

If you put in an Ethernet switch (or just swap the cable) on the DECA adapter will that allow you to connect a non-DTV device and access your LAN/Internet connection?

Thanks.

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I've not tried this, but if you are using DECA to transport something other than DIRECTV traffic you may find that things are not working as well as you'd like.

My recommendation would be to NOT do this under any circumstance.

3. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe this is oversimplfying it, but isn't DECA just a method of diplexing ethernet into the coax? With that logic, the OP's idea should work fine. Unless the DECA adapter is not providing 100 BaseT speed.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DECA is limited to 16 devices .. period. Adding non DIRECTV devices will certainly eat up that total.

Also, DECA is optimized for video delivery using DIRECTV's protocols. A third party device could introduce anomalies in that setup that somehow de-optimize the system.

I'm not saying it won't work .. I'm saying that I'd recommend not doing it because the results may not be what you expect.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    DECA networking is the supported network from DirecTV, so I'd guess the real question should be: why deviate from what DirecTV supports with some modified setup?
    "If" there would be a problem introduce, who is the one that's going to resolve it?

6. Kapeman

Kapeman Godfather

Dec 22, 2003
    The answer to the why question would be adding a LAN connection to a location that does not have Ethernet cabling to it.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    [shhh don't tell anybody]
    It would work, but if/when there is a problem, remember to reconfigure back to the supported setup first, to eliminate any issue this might cause.

8. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    In my case:

I have a wireless hub (connected as a repeater-bridge) that feeds internet to my PS3 as well as the HR20. I do not have CAT5 to that location but do have RG6.

/IF/ I can install a DECA on the RG6, connect a switch to that device, and then provide ethernet to my HR20 as well as my PS3... I would be happy.

If 16 DECA units are addressable on layer 2, it shouldn't matter how many layer 3 addresses are supported by those... correct?

I don't understand the argument against this.. what could you possibly introduce that would cause instability.. Sure you could saturate 100Mb, but that's incredibly unlikely...

Am I missing something?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I doubt you're missing anything.
    What we [or myself] may do, may [will] work for us, but understand from DirecTV's view point, we're modifying their network and as such we shouldn't expect them to support us any longer, or at least until we reconfigure it back to their standards.

10. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    I am hoping to do something similar with a Blu-ray player. My DECA install is this morning. After this weekend I can give some feedback as to how it works to have a switch and another device in the setup.

11. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Legend

Jul 6, 2007
    Please do so, because I'd be another one that would appreciate it. I've got an AppleTV that I was planning to connect to the network via a switch on my DECA, and in another room, I've got a new Samsung LED LCD that has an Ethernet input for media capabilities and I was planning to do the same thing in that room as well.

I hear the argument about possible problems from introducing another type of data over the network since DECA is optimized for video data, but aren't the expanded D* On Demand movies just basically data delivered to your HR2X via high speed internet (in the same manner that an AppleTV works)?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd kind of say: if you're knowledgeable enough to ask the question, you would have the [correct] answer too. ;)

13. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Legend

Jul 6, 2007
    I know just enough to be "dangerous". But I am not so smart that the [ ] aren't making my brain work overtime! :lol:

14. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    This comes up all the time with U-verse. It's very common for people to have devices they want networked near the TV (xbox, blu ray, HTPC, etc), and going wired is always better than wireless. People eventually figured out that you can attach something to the ethernet port of the U-verse STB and it gets bridged onto their HPNA signal. Of course, this is all totally unsupported by AT&T, but it works just fine. I don't expect DECA will be any different. Of course, theory is no substitute for real experiments and experience. :)

15. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    My DECA install is complete. I will add in the switch [actually its an old router, but I will have it functioning as a switch] and Blu-ray player tonight and play around with MRV and Netflix over the weekend and report back how things are working.

16. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    So could I connect my Slingbox to the other port on the HR21? Let it go DECA to the router??

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Could or Should?
    can do, but shouldn't

18. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    so how would I use another deca module or keep my wireless N alive just for that??

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You could use the DECA + PI, like for the broadband connection.

20. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    so they would have 2 DECA modules than one for the HR21 and the Slingbox