1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

MRV question prior to pulling the trigger on ordering.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by slappyjunior, May 25, 2010.

1. slappyjunior

slappyjunior New Member

May 25, 2010
    I am interested in adding MRV to my system but I have a few question prior to ordering. I have one HR20-700 and one HR21-700. Each receiver has two coax cables attached to them. My question is..Do I need to add any more coax cable runs to my existing sytem to run MRV? Can I use the existing coax cables? My router is located behind my family room tv connected to the HR21-700. My issue is I had coax cables installed inside my walls when we remodeled so running new cables would be a PIA. Do I need to add any other wiring?

Thanks,

Ro

2. hitokage

hitokage Legend

Jan 19, 2010
    It sounds like you should be good to go.

3. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    No need to add any more wiring. If you are going with a DirecTV install you will actually end up with an extra coax feed as only one line will be used.

You will find lots of reading here about SWiM and DECA technology. Both use a single feed of coax to make connectivity between your receivers a snap.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    With only 2 DVRs, you very likely do not have a multiswitch in place meaning each line comes directly from the dish into your DVRs.

The dish LNB will be replaced with a SWiM version so there will be only one line coming out of the dish. They will put in either a 2-way, 4-way or 8-way splitter and use one line to each receiver (instead of two). It is possible that one of the other lines at one of the locations will be used to send power back to the dish (it needs power to operate).

A possible configuration in your case:
    Code:
    Sat Dish [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]+-- [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]PI -- DECA [COLOR="Red"]<-[/COLOR]PI (-- Terminator)
               |             |
               |             +-- Ethernet to Switch
               |
               +-- DECA ----- Sat In (FTM-2)
               |     |
               |     +-- Ethernet to HR20-700
               |
               |
               +-- DECA ----- Sat In (SWM-2)
               |     |
               |     +-- Ethernet to HR21-700
               |
               |
               +-- Terminated
    This assumes a 4-way splitter is used.

5. slappyjunior

slappyjunior New Member

May 25, 2010
    Thanks to all....will set up my appointment.

6. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    In that configuration if you were not hooking it up to an internet connection could the 3rd DECA go from the PI to another receiver? Would you need a second PI?

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The SWiM needs a power inserter

The Broadband DECA needs a power inserter

If you remove the broadband DECA, you would only need the one SWiM power inserter, the broadband DECA and second power inserter come together.

You could use the output of the SWiM power to a DECA that is connected to a receiver. The DECA gets it's power from the receiver in this situation and there is no need for that second power inserter.

8. bsteeler05

bsteeler05 Mentor

Oct 25, 2007
    Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.