1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV randomly disconnecting?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by EricRobins, May 20, 2010.

1. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    Why would one of my HR20's be randomly "disconnecting" from my HR21?

I can restore the connection by rebooting the HR20, but the WAF on this fix is pretty low.

2. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Can you tell us a bit about your setup?

Wired/wireless/DECA?

3. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Also, is this a recent series of events?

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Are you using DECA? If not, you may want to consider that as however you are connected may be the culprit.

As Barry noted, it'd be great to know how you are connected and how much equipment you have.

5. ReachTwo

ReachTwo New Member

May 19, 2010
    I have the same problem. Here is my description of the issue from another post.

Had MRV/DECA installed this Saturday with 2 HR-24 DVRs. No other DVRs or receivers in my house. Install went well and MRV was working well . A few hours later, noticed that the DVRs were both losing connectivity with each other.

Here is the pattern.

Family room DVR displays the integrated playlist but does not allow a program from the bedroom DVR to play. Instead, it gives an error message stating " Playback failed. No audio/video data packets received from server".

Meanwhile, the bedroom DVR eventually stops displaying an integrated playlist. Under info&test>more system info>Network>>, both DVRs still display " coax connected".

MRV starts working after I restart both DVRs. This works for a few hours to an entire day and then the problem begins again. Somewhat tiring having to restart the DVRs over and over. I have checked all the connections from the dish to the wiring involved. SWM LNB on dish to splitter. From splitter, 1 cable each to both DVRs ( HR24 has built in DECAs) and 1 cable to the DECA located in my entertainment center. DECA is plugged into a powersupply and a CAT5 cable plugs into my router/switch for internet connectivity. It appears that the technician installed everything correctly. I am suspecting that one of the HR-24 units might have a defective DECA.

Very frustrating. Contacted DirecTV and they will be sending a tech out sometime next week to diagnose and fix the problem.

6. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    It must be something in the system acting up. I had DECA installed last Saturday on a HR21-100 and a HR22 and everything was working fine. But, my wife called form home a few minutes ago and the HR22 stopped playing programs from the HR20 earlier today. Worked this morning, but not now.

7. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Does the DECA (at your router) have all green lights (there should be three of them).

If yes, then check it again once your DVRs fail to see each other. The call to DirecTV was your best choice ReachTwo, and :welcome_s to DBSTalk.

Sounds like you have covered your bases. This is not what I would consider a "normal" problem and could very well be a hardware issue.

8. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Anyone else besides the above posters seeing such a problem?

9. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    CuriousG: being as you have a new install I suggest you call DirecTV and let them know what is going on with your network.

10. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    Reset receivers didn't work until router was reset. It's working again, but I'm concerned about having to reset equipment every few days.

I'm thinking the HR20-100 may be the problem as that is the receiver that stopped "talking" to the network. Perhaps the HR20-100 is not as compatible as it should be.

11. jdjeff

jdjeff Mentor

Sep 20, 2007
    I had this problem during the Beta, with one HR-23 that I connected via a supported wireless N gaming adapter. It would connect after a reboot, but would quickly drop off.

I got the MRV upgrade yesterday along with a SWM-16 and DECA on every box (7). Everything seemed ok but this morning when looking at the list on an H21, a couple of boxes were missing, and then I started getting messages about losing contact with several of the other boxes. When I checked status, several boxes were missing. Got the kids dressed for school and by the time I got back all was well again. Who knows?:nono:

12. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    It is happening to me as well. I had all sorts of problems with the install, but mainly on the sat signal. I was watching Lost today and about 45 minutes in I saw the message that the HR21 had been disconnected from the server. It also happened a couple of times last night and it is random on which DVR or HD box it happens on. I have 3 HD DVRs and one HD receiver. I never had these issues being connected to my home network. Makes me wonder why I switched to DECA in the first place. Also the DECA get very hot, so I wonder if this is what is causing the disconnects.

13. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    I just remembered today's date and have an idea. Today, DirecTV turned off the beta MRV. I wonder if whatever they did caused some receivers to require rebooting?

14. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    "what ever they did" was load new NR software into receivers, and that would make the units reboot.

I too was curious if this could be the cause, but I am still leaning against it. If you guys who are having problems could say when this started, it may help to come to a conclusion.

15. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Just because I have to say it: if your account is not set up for MRV, as of today the beta period has ended. Your MRV will not work unless its been authorized to do so.

There is a thread all about this here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177562

16. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    My wife didn't give me an exact time, but it fits with what has been reported by others when their beta service died. Looks like the time was 2:15pm eastern time. I'm in the central time zone and I talked to my wife about 45 minutes after the cut-off time and that is when she told me the MRV was not working but had worked earlier today.

As I said, resetting the router and DVRs has everything working again, so I suppose the only thing to do now is wait to see if it happens again. I'm betting it won't.

17. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    OP here:

I have two HR20's and one HR21 all hardwired (Cat5) straight to the same router, i.e., NO DECA.

Everything was fine until a week or so ago.

BTW, I activated MRV (by calling a CSR) today.

18. FourDoor

FourDoor Cool Member

May 20, 2010
    Doing a complete powercycle on my setup fixed my sudden MRV/DECA issues that showed up today after 2 of my receivers updated overnight. This in conjunction with the Beta ending I think caused my issues:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2465610&postcount=1875

19. Sander

Sander Godfather

Jun 3, 2007
    Those of us who purchased the SWiM/DECA option also were disconnected from MRV today at ca. 2:15 EDT. Needed to call DirecTV to have them add me back.

Beta ended today and they did not automatically revert to already opted-in MRV systems. Took only about 5 min with a CSR and all is operating now as it should.

20. lionsfan

lionsfan Mentor

Jan 19, 2007
    Have a similar problem, had deca/mrv installed last saturday. Have 2 HR20-700,1 HR23-700 new with install and a H24 also new with install. Couple days ago HR-23 was not showing active recordings on one HR-20 but was showing other recorded shows on that box. After show recording finished still did not show recorded show. Rebooted HR-23 evering fine. This morning similar problem, rebooted H-23 also H-24 was only showing recordings from 1 of HR-20s. Rebooted H-24 and all recording there. Checked HR-20s they were fine and did not have to reboot.

Update today 05-23-2010 HR-23 lost mrv connection to other boxes. reboot fixed