1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV - Static IP - Why

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by hank123, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1 of 11
    hank123

hank123 Cool Member

Mar 1, 2010
    There are a number of threads relating to the MRV issue where DVR's intermittently "disappear" form other receiver’s play lists.

Many of the threads recommend putting all receivers on Static IP to resolve this issue.

I have done this and, wouldn’t you know it, my MRV solution is now stable.

I have two questions.

1. Is there somebody on this board who can provide a technical reason for this? My lease refresh is set at 1 hour, but I my router was not chaning the assigned addresses, simply renewing. Also, under DHCP, I could not necessary get the system to a state where all boxes were visible to all other boxes. Under static IP the system is rock solid.

2. Since this seems to be a solution to a common issue, why doesn’t DTV simply make this recommendation? It could save frustration and improve customer satisfaction.

BTW - My nextwork is DECA to 4 recievers with a ICK connected to a Linksys wireless bridge.

2. Oct 4, 2010 #2 of 11
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not all routers will act/react the same, and there are many routers & models out there, which are really out of DirecTV's control.
    In my case, my 2Wire router is set to the defaults, as are all my receivers and I don't have any problems.
    Now if I change my setup with a wireless hop from my ICK to the same router, things go downhill every day. All the IPs are the same and all receivers still have internet access, but MRV playlist updating is the first thing to stop and then receivers will start falling out completely.

3. Oct 4, 2010 #3 of 11
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Hey VOS;

I thought you recently mentioned you are having some MRV issues nowadays in a thread about one box unable to receive from another in one direction because the client box reports the server box as disconnected even though the server box itself shows that its connected and can see and stream from all the other boxes including the one which cannot stream from it.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2595273#post2595273

4. Oct 4, 2010 #4 of 11
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ;)

5. Oct 4, 2010 #5 of 11
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK well ... :)

The way that post was worded in that thread I had no idea the troubles you mentioned there were related to going wireless on the ICK DECA link.

6. Oct 4, 2010 #6 of 11
    armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009

I just checked the User Guide, Appendix 2 and it's a bit dated. It has a HR-21 stamp at lower left. With the release of MRV/WHD, there s/b a newer release that includes simplistic steps to input static IPs.

IMO, it would help the first tier or 2nd tier techs to have a detailed technical bulletin at their cube to step the customer through it. The installation techs could leave them with the customers as well.

DHCP is quicker for the techs, and works well for some %? of customers. The bulletin could advise the other %? of steps to take before calling Directv.

At some point, a newer release of the User Guide to include MRV/WHD should be released. I can't imagine making life difficult for new subs that have limited home networking skills finding any current work-around acceptable. It's un-professional to refer someone to a forum for answers when the details could be printed in either form to refer back to. What does it take, one simple page?

7. Oct 4, 2010 #7 of 11
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm still not completely "sold" that it's a wireless problem, since it only really seems to affect my HR24. One might think if it was a wireless issue, that my other DVRs would have it too, but they didn't.
    Removing the wireless hop gets everything back to normal, but which is the one that isn't behaving is :confused: [chicken or egg]

8. Oct 4, 2010 #8 of 11
    ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    why would you do that? The only valid reason in a real world would be like a coffee shop or something that has bunch of different devices connecting on a regular basis and was somehow restricted on address space.

Set your leases to 14 or 30 days!!! Heck for a home network set them at a year!

9. Oct 4, 2010 #9 of 11
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    1. Don't really know why some routers seem to have problems with the DIRECTV boxes being DHCP. (Mine works fine and always has with DHCP.) However, I was wondering why you had the DHCP lease set to 1 hour. That seems low? Networking is not my area. (Mr. DogLover set up and maintains the network in our house.) Ours is set up with a 24 hour DHCP lease. I wonder if 1 hour causes a problem? I mean, that would mean that it would likely need to renew the lease more than once while just playing a movie. Just a thought.

2. Just my opinion, DIRECTV wants to stay away from making or recommending any changes to the users network. It would probably open the door for people to expect more support out of them than they are willing to provide. Recommending static IP addresses to someone who doesn't know much about networking is a way for them to screw up the connection for their other hardware.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Well said, IMO.

11. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    One hour leases are definitely too short. The way DHCP works is when half the lease has elapsed, the client notifies the server (in this case the router) that it is still alive and the server in turn renews the lease. This process continues during every lease period. The more frequent the lease period, the more traffic is generated on the network. Perhaps some of the receivers/DVRs have trouble communicating when there is too much extraneous traffic on the network. That all said, I just checked my FiOS router and it is set to a 24 hour lease period and my ethernet MRV works just fine.