1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV Upgrade - Didn't get HR24 but Tech Offered One Next Week?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by djt813, Jul 21, 2010.

1. djt813

djt813 Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    I just had my MRV upgrade installation and the tech said upgrading my HR20 receiver was not part of the process. He did offer to swap it next week for a brand new HR24, for $50 outside of the D* upgrade process. My concern is will this new DVR be recognized by D* on my account or will it cause problems down the road? Perhaps he knows how to get me upgraded officially with D* and is willing to help make that happen for a few bucks?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Well, you do want an HR24 but it sounds like this guy is pulling a fast one on DirecTV (not you). I suspect he'll just say your HR20 was bad and swap it out then keep the $50. Be very careful!

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I would avoid it

4. fiendz666

fiendz666 AllStar

Oct 6, 2006
    Definitely sounds pretty shady

5. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I would report it. I'm a technician and **** like this gives us a shady rep. Were issued equipment and the receivers are not tracked as to where they go. They are one of two statuses. Activated and Not Activated. For the time we carry that receiver it is in our inventory. Once activated (under any circumstance) that receiver is out of our inventory.

Since you have a 90 day warranty on the receiver he can return within 90 days and replace it over the phone at no charge to you, and no concern to him.

Really he's just screwing over D*. And while technicians get bent over by D* constantly, that crosses a moral and professional line.