1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV Upgrade Discounts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by seanb61, Jul 26, 2010.

1. seanb61

seanb61 Mentor

Jan 19, 2007
    Not sure If I am allowed to post this or not. But I was just able, as a "valuable Directv customer", order the MRV upgrade, normally $99 + install fee of $49 at zero cost! I was told on Saturday they were starting discounts this week so I called in again today. Initially, they offered it for only the $49 install fee but I pressed and was able to get that waived too.

This is what my order looks like on directv.com

Item Description Price Quantity Total
    Whole-Home DVR Service 1
    DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade Free 1 Free
    Professional Installation $49.00 1 $49.00
    Sales Order Credit ($99.00) 1 ($99.00)
    Sales Order Credit ($49.00) 1 ($49.00)
    Tax $0.00
    Order Total $0.00

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Suh-weet!

3. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    I had MRV installed in May right after the national release. It cost $49.00. Your order should also have the Internet Connection Kit on it. Some customers had MRV installed without the ICK and had to have a second service call.

4. seanb61

seanb61 Mentor

Jan 19, 2007
    As it turns out, I called again today to verify and I wan't getting the Internet Connection Kit... They canceled and redid the order correctly this time. Thanks

5. MAGICEJS

MAGICEJS New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Did you still get it all for free ?

6. seanb61

seanb61 Mentor

Jan 19, 2007
    Yep, everything at no charge

Item Description Price Quantity Total
    Whole-Home DVR Service 1
    DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade w/Internet Connection Kit Free 1 Free
    Professional Installation $49.00 1 $49.00
    Sales Order Credit ($99.00) 1 ($99.00)
    Sales Order Credit ($49.00) 1 ($49.00)
    Tax

Its been a great month for me and Directv. In the past few weeks they have given me Sunday Ticket @ $180 and Free to go, Free HD for 12 months, Free upgrade from a HR21 to and HR24 via a $199 credit on my account and a thank you Showtime for 3 months gift. On top of all this the unexpected free MRV upgrade. I don't know what I've done to deserve all the fee stuff, but I'll take it. My contract was going to be up in November and all it took to get this stuff was a few phone calls.

7. hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    Golly Gee, I'm a long time customer (1996) as well, out of contract, and had the install last week for the advertised price. They would not provide any discounts. Always a week late and $ short. Glad you are a member of the "in crowd"!

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Account History just doesn't look at length of time. It is a combination of payment history, perks given in the past and presently, and other stuff...

- Merg

9. hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    Never missed or late on a payment in 14 years. Perks?? none that I know of. Current credits none. Last credits received were early 2006 when the R15 came out. Had three or four of those machines in a four month period. Only the last one worked. Got credits for my trouble. A four heart guy and am eligible for a free DVR per the web site. Not a misfit! I believe just my bad luck drawing an unsimpathetic CSR. But I'm not complaning because I enjoy DTV and will pay for service provided. :)

10. ttuck

ttuck Cool Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I just got the same deal (free Whole home DVR/internet connection install), as well as $20 a month off NFL Sunday Ticket for 6 months,free Sunday Ticket to go, two $5 credits a month for six months, and free HD for 2 yrs - all in the same phone call! I think it's just a matter of what CSR you get on the phone, the one I got was amazing and as I pressed her for more she kept coming up with more deals. And to top it off, I have Comcast cable also (live in Philly area , can't get the local Comcast Sports net on DTV due to Comcast BS, therefore must also have cable to see Flyers and Phillies), called them up a day later and complained to them about their high price and they gave me $25 a month off for 6 months. Sometimes you have to call Directv a few times until you get the right CSR, or if you are in the position you can call retention and tell them you are thinking of switching. Or sometimes asking to speak to a supervisor/higher level helps. All of this proves to me how truly overpriced a lot of these services are.

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Allright, you are the second person on here to mention the hearts. What are they exactly, how do you earn them, and how do you see how many you have? I want some :D

12. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    I've called twice to get a reduced price for ST with no luck. I did find out that D* "accidentally" extended my contract in February after exchanging a defective H21 box. It took 2 calls to get the date switched back to Sept 16, 2010 where it belongs. I'm gonna give it a rest for a few days and then try again.

13. njs092682

njs092682 AllStar

Sep 23, 2007
    anyone try the e-mail route to get this for free? Or is phone really the only way to go on this?

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It's not something you can control. It's just a rating system used by D* internally that is calculated based on a number of things (tenure, payment history, etc.), IIRC.

You can't see how many you have, although a CSR might tell you (and might not). A few years ago when I updated to HD, I was told I was a 5 heart customer (or 4, don't remember...whatever the highest is) and I got a couple of HD-DVR's and complete install for free along with some free programming and other discounts. My total cost to upgrade to HD at the time was a savings of about $100 over the course of a year.

15. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Timing is (or seems to be) everything...

Not an expert on this, but I always call the month before my two-year commitment is about to expire to try and get discounts. After 6 years, I have received first HR at reduced cost, and second and third ones at no cost, all because of when I called. When my commitment is almost up in 18 months, I will see what the latest "must haves" are (if MRV isn’t already free by then) and see what they are willing to offer. Also, I always treat CSRs with respect, regardless of their knowledge (or lack thereof).

However, as in many things in life, YMMV...
    :wave:

16. tomc

tomc Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Which CSR group was this? Was it the customer retention group or is it just for a general CSR? Was there something specifically you said to get it?

17. hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    I was out of contract since April. However, had to replace an H20 with an H24 for MRV so now I guess I'm on the hook for two more years.

18. seanb61

seanb61 Mentor

Jan 19, 2007
    I asked the Whole home DVR group. I just asked if there was any discounts for a long time customer.

19. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    I called yesterday (regular old 800#) and this is my WHDVR + HD order:

Plus they gave me a separate $99+tax credit on my account for one of the HD receivers, effectively cutting price to $110.75 for everything.

Had a change of heart today and called back...subbed another HD DVR for one of the HD receivers for an extra $99+tax.

So everything above -- but 2 HD DVRs + 1 HD receiver -- for $200+tax.

I think I got a fair deal. Customer since 2002.

20. justinkwaugh

justinkwaugh Cool Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I called today, haven't seen the order details on the website yet, but I got

WHDVR w/ ICK and
    new HD DVR and
    install

for free which makes me very happy.

oh, and I've never had a contract until now, and have been a customer since 1998