1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mrv Wireless Installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by john59912, Dec 5, 2011.

1. john59912

john59912 Cool Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I am scheduled to have MRV installed today (12/5/2011) between 12 and 4. This includes CCK. After reading this forum i am concerned and need a little clarification. I do not have a network set up and intend to do that later. Due to location of the pc's i intended to set up a wireless network. Is there any problem with installing the MRV and CCK and later connecting to my home network.
    I didn't plan it this way but would prefer to get one thing working before adding anything else.
    Do i need to contact D* and advise them.
    Do i need to cancel the install and do the home network first.

2. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    DirecTV will install a SWM/DECA system for MRV. The CCK allows all of your receivers/DVRs to connect to the internet for VOD and apps via a connection to a broadband router, either wired or wireless....sounds like you currently have neither, therefore, I'm not sure if they'll be willing to provide you with the CCK during installation.

3. bobojay

bobojay Godfather

Jan 26, 2004
    I'm thinking about doing the whole home DVR setup. I do currently have a wireless network set up in the house, and as you can see by my sig. some pretty old, so to speak, equipment.
    The HR20 is working great and am wondering if I can use it as the "second" receiver in the system, where we currently have just an H20, (bedroom).

The less hassle on this install the better. Wiring is all fairly new within last 4 yrs. from the dish to inside the house.

Is this a go with what I've got set up, or will it be a mess?

Unfamiliar with some of the terms here. What's CCK?

4. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    CCK is Cinema Connection Kit which is a neat device over it's predecessor the ICK Internet Connection Kit. The old one did not have provisions to pass the coax signals on through and so required a splitter port. New one just nestles in line and it'll tie into a wireless or wired home network depending on what you have for VOD, etc

Depending on your HR20 it may require some different connections but I am still running 2 of them here just fine. The old H20 must leave the building though.:grin:

WHDVR is really cool and once used you wonder how you ever got along without it.

Don "ICK was a cute acronym but a bad marketing connotation I expect" Bolton

5. bobojay

bobojay Godfather

Jan 26, 2004
    Thanks lugnut. Just what I needed to hear. The H20 was going to leave. Hasn't been the best receiver.

What are they using now for the "master" DVR? If that's the correct term

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There isn't a "master", but merely DVRs that share or not their playlist.
    Newest model is the HR24.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I totally agree!!!

I couldn't exist now and be happy without my 7 DVRs all talking to each other and sharing recordings via WHDVR Service.

Way To Go Directv!!! :)

8. bobojay

bobojay Godfather

Jan 26, 2004
    Thanks you all. Be calling them in the next few days to see what we can figure out.
    Glad to see everyone's so excited about this once they have it.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure "excited" is it.
    First there was "TV"
    Then there was a DVR, which was a game changer for watching TV,
    Now there's watch anything, anywhere you have a TV/receiver.
    "Convenient" might be more like it [for me]