1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV with only Wireless Internet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by druwhall, Aug 16, 2010.

1. druwhall

druwhall New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I am getting my system installed tomorrow. I am supposed to be able to get MRV and On Demand through my wireless internet. I do NOT have a router. I explained this to the Directv Representative and they guaranteed me that I would be able to get MRV and On Demand just through a wireless adapter the installer would install free of charge. Does this seem right? I've tried to reading about MRV and the Wireless adapters but I'm having a hard time understanding. :confused:

2. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Without a router, nothing in your house can connect to the internet besides the PC your modem is directly connected to. Take the free wireless adapter by all means, but I'm very surprised that's being offered at all as it's an unsupported connection method for MRV since SWM and DECA came on the scene. If I were you, I'd push for a SWM/DECA install and the ICK (internet connection kit). But before they show up, I'd buy myself a router.

I'm 99.9% certain they won't install in a way that you'd have to use wireless for MRV.

Are you certain you don't have a router and that nothing else in your house has wired or wireless internet access at all? Who is your internet provider and what model modem do you have?

3. druwhall

druwhall New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I pick up wireless internet in my house. I just don't have a router in my house. My computers and my PS3 pick up a great signal. I stream movies on my PS3 excellent.

4. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    In that case a wireless adapter will work with MRV and OnDemand just like your other wireless devices. You'll have call DirecTV and have them activate MRV on your receivers. MRV is $3/month and OnDemand is free (except for PPV). If they're willing to give you a wireless adapter, that's a great deal since they can run about $100.

BTW, you have some awesome neighbors.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    druwhall, it sounds like what you're saying is that you're using someone else's internet. You use wireless adapters in your home to connect to someone else's router. Clearly you've had some success with this, and I make no judgment except to say that I presume the person providing the internet service knows what you're doing, right?

6. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010

I could be wrong, but I assumed that he/she is talking about wireless service from one of the mobile phone carriers, such as Verizon, AT&T, etc. If that is the case, I have no idea how MRV would be possible without having the DVRs networked with each other via a router.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That is also certainly a possibility, via a microcell or 3G adapters.

8. camattin

camattin AllStar

Feb 6, 2003
    If the OP's PS3 is picking up the signal w/o an external adapter, then it's almost certain we're talking 802.11x here.

As others have said, I sure hope your neighbor knows about this (and that you have good security on your own equipment).

9. capecodsooner

capecodsooner Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    And the ISP might become interested if the data xmission usage increases dramatically.

but +1 on the nice neighbors:)

10. Justin85

Justin85 Legend

Jun 16, 2010
    They won't be so nice once they get a letter from their ISP letting them know they went over the "acceptable" data usage amount!

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Which neighbor are you stealing your Internet from?

12. slo_dave

slo_dave Cool Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Let's not jump to conclusions. There are several cities now offering free wireless internet. Or he could possibly live next to a coffee shop or fast food joint offering free wifi.
    However, unsuspecting neighbor sounds more like it ;)