1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

mst 774?????

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by 175ranger, Apr 23, 2012.

1. 175ranger

175ranger New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I have a one recvr install in a 20 story building. getting cable from the 5th floor to the first is not an issue. The issue is the mst 774 and 2 swm 8 modules. Do I need to put my own swm 8 module in or can I use a port directly off of the mst 774. I have no way of knowing if there are 8 tuners running off of each of the existing swm 8's, which would make putting a 2 way swm splitter on there a bad idea. Can I plug one line for an h24 directly into the mst 774 or do I have to use a swm 8 module?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Seems like the mst 774 is a tap, so one line won't have all the SATs.
    You'd need four of the taps to feed a switch or SWiM

3. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    Exactly the MST ports only feed other SWMs or devices that hold SWMs like FMC6 or the expanders.

4. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    I have to ask, are you the MDU system service tech for this buliding, or are you just an average installer from company X doing the install?

If you are an average installer from the local company X, then you need to walk away from this install and get in touch with the MDU service tech.

He is the only one that knows EXECTLY how the building is wired.