1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Much Ado About An Inch, Or -- When A Footlong Isn't A Foot Long

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Jan 19, 2013.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-911771?hpt=hp_bn1

Hey you silly Fakebook using FOOL, it says it's a 'Footlong'. It doesn't say it's a foot long. You know, a Ford Mustang isn't a horse either.

But what do you expect from a Fakebook user?

2. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    I eat at Subway on a fairly regular basis and always get a "footlong". What I'm surprised more people don't complain about is the way that they cut a "six inch" sub. They almost never cut the bread exactly in half and one of those people gets shorted. Not a problem for me, but I've watched them do it for other people and always wondered why people don't say anything when they're being shorted.

I have heard people talk about the days when a "footlong" was actually a foot long, but I always thought it was pretty close.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    [strike]Is this important? Are our lives so devoid of substance that a Subway "footlong" is even a topic for discussion.[/strike]

Nevermind. :rolleyes:

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I guess for some, Size really does matter!! :lol:

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    My foot is less than a foot.

Where can I complain about that?

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What I find most curious... is how people will say this is nitpicking, but will be just as angry over picking similar nits IF it is of importance to them.

To be fair here... I think it is bad of them not to be ensuring footlongs are actually a foot long... or that their six-inch subs are always six-inches.

They could go with the age old thing for 1/4-lb burgers where they say 1/4-lb before cooking, some weight might be lost in cooking... something similar that says they always cut the dough to be a foot long but in rising some of the length becomes width. I would be ok with that.

But this is a DBS site... and people go nuts if they think they are paying 10 cents to a channel they never watch... so, why is that ok to go nuts about but not ok to wonder 1/12 of the sandwich you pay for has gone?

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    When I was in the first grade, a question on a test was how many inches are there in a foot. I took the ruler off my desk and measured my foot. It was 8 inches!

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX

LOL,
    sounds like something I might have done.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My shoes are a foot long ... but I'm not in 1st grade. :)

It must have been a slow news day. I have never measured my Subway sandwich ... and care more about the contents than the bread length. I am more annoyed when I get a sandwich that is not full (leaving an inch or more of unfilled bread) than worrying about the exact length of my sandwich. A problem I have at other restaurants ... not Subway.

10. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Had a conversation with an old girl friend once. What I though was eight inches turn out to be two.:lol:

11. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It was only a matter of time

From Fox News:

Way to Subway corporate and throw your loyal franchisees under the train!

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Hopefully the Judge will have a brain and cite these jerks for wasting the Court's time with a frivolous case.

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    People should be more concerned about the poor quality of their ingredients. It has gone downhill.

14. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I believe this to be more of a franchisee issue than a company wide issue.

15. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    They all use the same product.

16. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    They may be the same product in the beginning but each franchisee defines how they treat said product and how long it stays in the store and that goes a long way making a quality product.

17. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...when you start out with poor quality product...nothing can change that.

18. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    Subway is sort of a restaurant of last resort when traveling...like when you find one inside a gas station or something. You begrudge yourself a little Subway soylent green and hope for a better meal when you arrive at your destination. :D

19. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    I wish they would go back to the original way of cutting bread, by cutting out a top :( I hate this new open ended side cutting thing.

20. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I always liked the open top as well.