1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Multi-Channel Series Links??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drx792, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 6, 2007 #1 of 11
    drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    Ummm... will we ever get multi-channel series links for a show like on Tivo. Like when you make a series link for a show it applies to ALL channels that show airs on, not just the channel you have selected it on. I expect my series link on HBO to work for HBO west if there is some kind of conflict. I remember that on the HR10 it varied back and forth between east and west feeds .
    It would also be nice to have a remote dvr feature if your HR20 is hooked up to a network, like U-verse.

2. Jul 6, 2007 #2 of 11
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    IIRC... the only way to do that on TiVo was via a WishList AutoRecord.

Season Passes, where channel specific.

Once CIR is functional again, you will be able to simulate the similar thing with an AutoRecord Search.

3. Jul 6, 2007 #3 of 11
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    you can use a keyword specific series record. I have Deadwood set up as a keyword record and it picks it up on any channel it appears. It grabs some obscure stuff like Travel channel occasionally, but that is a dash dash away from deletion.

4. Jul 6, 2007 #4 of 11
    drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    hmm keyword specific searches that could work.

i do hope CIR is functional again soon too.

Thanks Earl and armophob for the quick replies !

5. Jul 6, 2007 #5 of 11
    SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...

Hmmm... the word "again" seems to mean it was at one time.... is that the case?

6. Jul 6, 2007 #6 of 11
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    On the R15 yes...
    It was never enabled on the HR20

7. Jul 6, 2007 #7 of 11
    drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    this may sound kinda stupid, but i want CIR so i can remove the SD versions of locals in the living room. I'm sick of people in the house putting th SD on over the HD cause of the letter box on the commercial and some 4:3 stuff and because they are too LAZY to change the volume cause its DD and not everything comes out of the main speakers but all five on the A/V receiver. I got the HR20's for my room and the living room for the HD. So i expect everyone in my house to make use of the money i spent on them.

8. Jul 8, 2007 #8 of 11
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Earl, DIRECTV will still have to fix the Autorecord Title Bug for this to work. They stated in January that this had been fixed but as of today it is not. The HR20 cannot Autorecord on a Title Search as the OP is asking.

DIRECTV will also have to fix the Search Order Bug or you will be randomly recording the SD versions instead of the HD versions.

- Craig

9. Jul 8, 2007 #9 of 11
    waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    HMMMMMMMMM i have Bones set to autorecord and it picks up on all the chs that its brodcast on also have house set that way both USA and FOX get recorded.

10. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    I agree about using a keyword search to get the desired results, but I would do two things:

(1) Try to add a category to your auto-record keyword that will either limit the channels or programs that the search will apply to (for example, specify Audip & Video / Hi-Def, or Show Type / Drama)

and

(2) Review your To Do list once a week BEFORE any recordings occur, and just press STOP on any title/channel pair that doesn't specifically fit what you're looking for.

This way, you try to prevent recordings you would just DASH-DASH away later, and try to avoid conflicts and using up space, which could force some programs to be deleted to make room for the auto-recorded programs.

11. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    To ensure you record HD content over SD content, add a category "Audio & Video, High-Def to your keyword search.

It will look like this in the Recent Searches list: "BONES & Audio & Video, High-Def"

It will also ensure Bones is never recorded in SD. However, if the guide data for "Bones" doesn't contain "High-Def", you may get nothing recorded at all ... but that's an issue for the company that supplies the guide data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.