1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Multi-Language Question for HDMI users

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by byron2008, Mar 19, 2009.

1. byron2008

byron2008 Cool Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Hello everyone, I've remained in the standard definition platform for two primary reasons. We have loved the TIVO platform (original standard def).

But more importantly, we realized when upgrading from an "S-video" cable to either the component or hdmi cable we lose the capability to utilize the cc3 option. We're a multi-lingual household, and when we watch any program on HBO (which offers 95% of their shows in Spanish & English) we can listen in spanish with English subtitles or reverse.

I know this likely makes no sense to most out there, but trust me it's a multi-lingual family compromise.

Anyhow, I'm not under any contract, and our two tivo units are close to the end of the line 4+ years on each of them. Does anyone know of a platform (Time Warner; Dish or DTV) which can fulfill this basic need? The HR20/HR21 series offers the option to go with the S-video plug, but why would I want to sign a 2 year contract etc... to buy into an SD platform?

Thanks for all advice

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    You were probably using the TV's caption decoder to see CC3, right?

With HDMI, you need to use the Box's caption decoder.

Unsure if any box does CC3 though, I know they do CC1.

phox

3. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    I don't have any of the HBOs, but did give it a shot on a couple of the HD versions of Starz (free preview going on now).

I went into the menus and selected Service 1, 2, 3 & 4 for CC.

Back to live TV and turned on CC.

CC worked on service 1 over HDMI, nothing on 2, 3 or 4.

The two movies I tried were The other Boylen Girl and Next. Both supposidly had Spanish subs. Was not able to get the Spanish audio to show up.

One thing I did get to work was on Pirates of the Carribean, I was able to get Spanish audio and English subs.

So, I don't know if it's Starz, a limitation of the HRs or what.

4. byron2008

byron2008 Cool Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeah, what you described with the Starz channels is pretty much what I ran into, but if you were able to switch the audio that's a good sign. So what unit are you using?

Thanks

5. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Tried both a HR20-700 & HR21-700.

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Could always use components and av cables when you need to use both subtitles and english audio.