DBSTalk Forum banner

Multi-Room Viewing

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  armchair 
#1 ·
I got the following questions recently:

I am considering switching but there is one comparison I don't really understand. With DISH we share a DVR box. That allows me to record on both of my TV's and watch recordings from either tv on either one. But with Direct the boxes are separate. Does that mean I can only view what was recorded on that specific TV? That seems like a disadvantage. Can you give me your opinion about which is preferable?​

I found this page that show's DIRECTV's MRV that is in beta. Is anyone one using this that can tell me about it. I assume the advantage is that you can get access to all your DVR shows in more than two rooms, and I assume that each room is HD, whereas with Dish you only get one HD tuner and on SD tuner. The disadvantage seems to be that you would need some kind of home networking setup, right?

Anything else I may be missing?

#3 ·
As of a couple of months ago it's no longer in beta.

DirecTV refers to it as Whole Home DVR Service now and it's $3/mo.

Mike

#4 ·
Yes, the receivers all need to be networked but DirecTV has a solution where they use the same coax that feeds the satellite signal to the receivers for the network. If you decide to go that route, when you order make sure to also ask for the Internet Connection Kit, it interconnects the coax network to your ethernet network, it's $25 additional one time charge.

#5 ·
DISH network has a second port for a Standard Definition TV. You have to distribute the video signal from the set top box to both the primary and secondary TV. This is what DISH calls "Multi-Room View"

DIRECTV uses a different system. You have multiple set top boxes. Either a single HD DVR + separate HD Receiver or two HD DVRs (since it seems you only have 2 TVs). If you go with a receiver in the secondary location instead of a DVR, the receiver will be able to view programs recorded on the central DVR. The good news with DIRECTV is that both locations can be HD. If each of the two receivers are the 24 (HR24 and H24), then they are come networked. The only thing you would need to add is whole-home DVR service and an Internet Connection Kit if you want video on demand from DIRECTV.

#6 ·
Question: how much does Dish charge for the 2-room DVR? How about two DVRs?

Consider this as a comparison. With two Directv DVRs, you'd have two leases but the first is credited. That doubles your tuner count to 4 And gives you HD in both rooms. Add MRV and DVR fee and your monthly fees for two DVRs are $15 (his includes Lease, MRV & DVR fee).

Next you can compare the monthly programming cost and see what your bottom line comparison is. Adding more DVRs or receivers (even HD) would only be an additional $5/month per box.

How does that compare for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.