1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Multi Sport RedZone channel package

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by hoophead, Jan 31, 2012.

1. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Received a letter in the mail about a week ago that stated the package price will increase from $7/mo to $9/mo starting Feb.1

I have had the multisport package before the RedZone channel was born and keep it 12/mos a year. That's one price increase I cannot quibble about! :)

2. Feb 1, 2012 #2 of 21
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    $9 a month? BOOOO

3. Feb 1, 2012 #3 of 21
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    22% increase :(.

However, only those that subscribe to that package will have to shoulder the increase. Can't see anything wrong with that.

The MSP is NOT for everyone, but I like it, especially the RZ channel.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #4 of 21
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    $108 a year for no live pro sports is getting quite expensive. But, it was $60 at one time without NFLZ. So if you look at that you are paying $48 a year for the addition of the NFLZ it's not so bad, especially because to get it with Direct you have to pay hundreds for the Sunday package. I'm not a big enough football fan to want it, but my friends rave about the NFLZ and that is a great affordable substitute for the Sunday package.

5. Feb 1, 2012 #5 of 21
    coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    As of now the Multi-Sport with RedZone is still $7 per month, and all the new pricing went into effect already today. So if its going up it must be at a later date or the decision was changed.

Price Changes effective 2/1/12:
    • DISH Latino Basico increased $3 to $22.99 per month
    • Premium Channels of 2 or more are now $2 more per month bundled together (example, HBO & Cinemax is now $26 instead of $24 etc. note: If you only subscribe to one then there is no increase)
    • Box Return Fee increased $2 to $17
    • Sling Adapter is now $30 with no rebate

UPDATE: As phrelin has posted here the Multi-Sport with RedZone will increase to $9 per month but not until 2/23/12 all other price increases that were effective 2/1/12 are listed in his post.

6. Feb 2, 2012 #6 of 21
    hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I view a variety of college football and basketball games so the price is not only about "no live pro sports"

7. Feb 3, 2012 #7 of 21
    talk000

talk000 Cool Member

Jul 5, 2003
    What is a box return fee?

I agree the reason for subscribing to MultiSports is mostly college. I could do without redzone if they would break it out separately and return MultiSports to the old price.

I did not get the letter, but I pay annually for this.

8. Feb 3, 2012 #8 of 21
    Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    These prices did go into effect as of 2/1/12. It should be reflected on your next billing cycle. Thanks.

9. Feb 3, 2012 #9 of 21
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    When you have to return receivers after cancelling service (or sometimes when exchanging a defective receiver for a new/refurb one).

10. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Ray, I am in the middle of receiving a 722 replacing a 322 and no CSR informed me of any fee....just said I have 10 days to return the 322

11. tjachem

tjachem New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Pay for the multi-sport package on an annual basis instead of monthly before 2/23 and two things will happen. Chat is the easiest way to do this.

1. You will pay around $70 for the year and essentially get two months free.
    2. You will avoid the price increase until February of 2013

12. Papote

Papote AllStar

Oct 3, 2005
    Sorry for hijacking the post, but getting charged almost $20 for returning a borrowed receiver in good faith?!?!

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Why would you think it should be free? Would you rather them add $1.50-$2.00 to your monthly bill to cover one exchange a year whether you make one or not? OR charge you only when you actually exchange a receiver?

14. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Annual is no longer available as of Jan 1 believe.

15. Papote

Papote AllStar

Oct 3, 2005
    I would be ok if they charged for exchanging a receiver when it is leased. I believe they can cover expenses after charging monthly DVR, lease and receiver access fees. Obviously, some of these charges depend on qualifying programming packages.

The fee does say Receiver Return fee, not exchange. I just don't understand why I should be charged to return it in good working order after all they have charged me before.

16. MCHuf

MCHuf Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Maybe because the competition doesn't charge for returning equipment? When my mom cancelled Comcast, they sent a service person to pick-up their equipment from her. When I cancelled U-Verse, they instructed me to bring the equipment back to a UPS store, where it was packaged and shipped back to ATT on their dime.

The competition I mentioned charge roughly the same monthly fees for their equipment with no upfront fees.

17. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    well, if you don't like the way Dish handles their returns, then you are more than welcome to go to "the competition"...

18. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Annual programming is no longer an option. Only people that had annual programming before 2/1/11 have it, and once you change to monthly, it is gone.

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I had to drive to a UPS store to return my U-Verse equipment... My father had to drive to a Time Warner office to return his... so it wasn't "free" to return those when you factor in our time, gas, and use of the car we drove.

20. MCHuf

MCHuf Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Hey I like my Dish service. But Dish isn't perfect and and things can always be improved, no matter who the provider is. And seeing how Dish has had around the same customer numbers for years, maybe they do need to do something different. And while Dish is very profitable, they're basically making more profits per customer than making more profits by getting more customers.
    Unless you live in a very rural area, there's a UPS store just a few miles from where you live or work. I'm sure the time and gas used to go to one while you're coming home from work or combined with some other errand was very minimal. I bet no where near $20 worth. And with a Dish return how many people give it to their mailman and how many drive to a post office or even a Fedex/UPS store?

Dish has been closing Blockbuster stores at a pretty heavy rate lately. Why haven't they converted any to Dish stores? Why haven't they added Dish sections to the remaining stores? The BB store I go do has far fewer shelves of rentals than it did before Dish bought them. Lots of wasted space. They could eliminate those fees for at least some customers by having equipment returns at a store.