1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi switch

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by valleygreen22, Apr 13, 2011.

1. valleygreen22

valleygreen22 Cool Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I had Directv and switched to Comcast. After two weeks I had had enough and went back to Directv. The Comcast installer apparently cut the satellite cables to use to install his cable ( I know that makes no sense). Any way when the Directv guy came he had a really hard time getting it to work. Ran all new cable. Changed from an LNB 5 to an LNB 3 etc. Finally ran the cable directly to the boxes by passing the multi switch. Is there any problems with this ?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If it's working fine, then you're probably OK.

How many Receivers/DVRs do you have? What models? What multiswitch?

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, as litzdog says if its working OK this way then you are probably alright. As to why the installer specifically bypassed the multiswitch we would need to know more about your setup.

If I were to guess at this point though it is likely that when he changed the LNB from a 5 to a 3 LNB one he also switched it from a legacy four output type to a single output SWiM version which does not use the older tone/voltage multiline multiswitches.

How many lines do you see running from the dish?

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My local phone company pulled that stunt more than a few times by cutting sections out of wiring. The state came down on them like a ton of bricks as inside wiring had been turned over to the customers and what the phone company did was an act of destructive vandalism.

It was not at all necessary to cut the cables so what the cable company did was criminal.