1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple EHD's on one Receiver

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by tyree91, Jun 20, 2008.

1. tyree91

tyree91 New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Can you keep multiple EHD's to be run on a single receiver? Can you use a USB switch for access?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    NO. Not now. Dish told they are working on that.

Only one by one. If you have true USB switch what connect a host to only one device [HDD].

3. tyree91

tyree91 New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    If I follow your answer correctly, it means that multiple discs cannot be connected at the same time, but they can be exchanged either with a USB switch or simply by disconnecting and exchanging. Do I read you right? Anyone else have input on this clarification? Thanks

4. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Yes this is correct. If you plan is to connect Multiple USB drives via a USB hub that will not work. Currently Dish only supports one USB drive at a time though there is no limitation on how many different drives you can have, but only one can be connected at a given time.

I do know of one person that has multiple drives and a switch and has reported that it works, but I am not aware of a lot of people having such a configuration.

5. tyree91

tyree91 New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks Ron. That's what I was looking for. I figured a hub would not work, but there are some USB switches out there that should do the trick.

6. Tulsa1

Tulsa1 Godfather

Oct 15, 2003
    FWIW:
    I am using USB hubs on both my 622 and 722.
    As long as ONLY one EHD has power on each hub there is no conflict.
    I have 3 EHDs connected to each DVR by way of a cheap 4 port USB hub.
    Now that we have the household key I can move the EHDs from one hub to the other at will.:)

7. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Has anyone tried using a NAS device via a USB ethernet "card"?