1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Multiple Genie's allowed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dualsub2006, Dec 11, 2013.

1. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I have a question, and it centers around the times that I've seen people post here that they have multiple Genie boxes on their account. I've seen mention also that D* only allows one Genie per account.

I'm up for my Protection Plan upgrade next week, and I have one of my HR-23's nearly cleaned off for the switch. Would D* allow me to then order a second Genie to replace my other HR-23 when I'm ready to replace that one?

I don't honestly NEED two, but the 5 tuners on each would make some recording nights less painful, and my other main TV area would benefit muchly from the PIP feature as well.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Unfortunately you can't at this time.

3. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    For what it is worth, and I fully understand the CSR roulette we often experience with DirecTV, but I was told firmly with no reservations that they will not allow or activate two Genie's on the same account. Why? Beats me. Since I'm not using the clients it certainly would make sense to gradually switch my other two receivers over to Genie's.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    DirecTV currently only allows one. There have been cases of people having two when the rules were less clear, and their second one ended up being disabled. At that point, they are pretty much out of luck.

As for why, I think it's a combination of requiring a SWM16 and I believe there are some technical issues with clients and multiple Genies. Plus the limited availability early on. Though that really isn't a factor with HR44s.

5. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks for confirming what I didn't want to be true.

It'll be spring before I'd want to add a second, as that's when it'll be close to cleaned off, and that's when I'm replacing that TV. Maybe things will be different then.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    In same boat as I have a tiring HR21 waiting for when two Genies will be allowed.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    One would hope that they've had time and resources to fix any technical problems.

I wonder if DECA is up to supporting the loading that might result.

From an installation standpoint, having to replace all of the SWMLNB setups that are in place is probably pretty daunting.

If you let someone have two, some will want three or more and the yield using SWM is poor.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    DECA isn't a problem.
    I've already shown a dual SWiM-16 configuration that would support 4 Genies, should one ever need it.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, but would the average tech be able to pull that off if it's not something they do very often?

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What's an "average" tech?

1 person likes this.
  11. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    You had me at 4 Genies. :)

12. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I would never need more than three Genie's so maybe I could recycle my SWM8 and marry it up with my SWM16? :grin: As it is we have a Genie and two HR's for the two of us so it's not like we need more receivers. In reality I'd be happy to get a second Genie for our second major watching setup so I really won't need to bring the SWM8 back on line.

13. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The way I understand it, the reason they don't allow two Genies is that the clients mis-behave when there are two possible servers to which they can connect. Since a client has to registered with the server, if they attempt to attach to "other" server, the connection is rejected.

While Harsh may be correct that they could have solved this problem by now, there are other more important client/Genie issues to be addressed. Since a very small number of their customers want more than one Genie, it just isn't a high priority. It is far easier, and basically without any penalty, to say that only one Genie may be active on an account.

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I gotta ask, how is it possible that 9 tuners would not be enough for two people? When would you ever need to watch/record more than 9 things at once, and when would you ever have time to watch all those recordings?

15. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    We have 13 recordable tuners (plus 2 H25s) for 3 people, and have occasionally had to record the pacific time zone rebroadcast of some shows. Maybe we will never watch everything, but it is nice to have it available.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    There was a poster here several months ago that wanted 12-15 tuners so he could record every football game. And that was just one person.

17. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    9 tuners is probably good enough for us as we just jumped from 6 to 9 when we replaced an HR20 with an HR44 just 3 or so weeks ago and really haven't gotten used to the extra number of tuners. Actually what would make more sense is to go with 2 Genie's and an Hxx or a client if DirecTV came up with a workaround with any conflict between multiple Genie's and clients. The client or Hxx would be in our crafts room/gym so a DVR is really not an issue it's just what's there now. In fact the only reason why there's a DVR in there now is because the H10 that was in there went up in smoke....figuratively....and DirecTV offered me an HR20 for no cost so why not. We don't get enough company to justify providing DirecTV in the guest room so any quests will just have to put up with OTA. What I do like about the Genie is the speed when compared to our HR21 and HR23 it's quite apparent.

18. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct, however having these many Genies adds much more to support these receivers in hardware cost and yields the same monthly fees in return as it they had Genie minis

19. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What's so hard about marrying a couple or for that matter 3 or four switches together? this is not any difference that marrying multiple 6x8 or 6x16s together when there was no SWM and DVRs used 2 cables.

20. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Not so much the tuners, it is the limit for the number series one can record that gives me hassles.

We have about 150 channels x 7 days x 3 prime shows per channel per day = 3150 possible series. And DirecTV limit us to 50 and a 100.