1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Recievers / Remotes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vfraenckel, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vfraenckel

vfraenckel New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    I'm building a media room in my house, and have 4 TV's (one HD, 3 standard) arrayed one wall. I've ordered Directv receivers (DVRs) for the three standard def tvs, and an HD receiver. How can I use the remote controls to control them individually? I expect a remote for any one of the three DVRs to change the channel on all three DVRs, which of course I don't want.

Any suggestions?

2. rabit ears

rabit ears Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    When you get your equipment, look up the procedure for changing the remote address in the manual. That should solve your problem.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Sorry you can't do what you want with R15's you only have 1 alternate address so you can only have 2 close together. If you can find any R10 you will be able to do what you want.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I do not have an R15, so I can't speak to how that works. I do have eight TiVo units/receivers in my living room, and they have alternate addresses set from "1" to "8". You need to make sure when you are setting the addresses that you block the signal from getting to the others. I actually unplugged all the receivers except the one for which I was setting the address, then unplugged that and plugged in the next one, etc.

When I set mine (according to the instructions), I would hit the number I wanted to use for that unit, hit "right" on the round navigation control button (hearing a "thump" sound), then I think I hit channel up, channel down (moving up in the "System info", then back to the screen where the remote address shows) before it actually showed the number I had set.

It's really pretty easy, and I have not had any problem with one receiver picking up the signals from another.

Until I learned about the remote addresses, I used metal plates (electrical junction box covers) to block the signals from the boxes I didn't want to be controlling (luckily, that was when I only had two boxes!). If you wind up with three R15's and you cannot set three different numbers, that would be the only type of solution (blocking) that I can think of.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.