1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiswitch advice needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jeff125va, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1 of 19
    jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    I currently have two Zinwell 6x8 multiswitches, fed by power-passing splitters, feeding my five HR2x's. The only problem I currently have is with changing channels on the one HR20 that is fed from the Zinwell that is fed by the non-power-passing sides of the splitters. Most channels work fine, but for some, sometimes, I need to tune to that channel on another receiver first.

So I'm wondering what my options are. Am I using the wrong type of splitters? Should I replace the multiswich with a 6x16? Or should I look into getting a SWM? I wouldn't mind being able to use my OTA antenna, and I only have two cable lines (or two per receiver in one case) running to most of the rooms. And there's the possible multi-room viewing feature to consider. I just don't know how involved and expensive the SWM option would be compared to the others.

2. Jun 9, 2009 #2 of 19
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    1. Might be wrong splitters. What brand/model are they?

2. A Zinwell 6x16 would be a good choice since it's powered.

3. You have to many tuners for a single SWM multiswitch (8 max), so you would need to parallel two of them.

3. Jun 9, 2009 #3 of 19
    jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    1. I'm pretty sure the brand is Monster, but I don't know the model. I know that they have a little arrow on one (and only one) output indicating which side is the power-passing side. And I know that I correctly have all of the cables from the power-passing side going to one multiswitch, and the others to the other one.

2. I figure this is the simplest option, just not sure I want to spend money on this now then go with the SWM later.

3. Shows how little I know about the SWM - I figured 8 outputs would be good for 8 receivers. So I guess this option would be at least twice as expensive as it would otherwise be. What would the pros of the SWM be for me? What other cons are there?

4. Jun 9, 2009 #4 of 19
    miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    3) Pros = you can use your extra coax cable in each room for OTA tuner. And that's really about it. You still have to use the splitters to feed two SWM-8's in parallel.

Question: You do have each output from the splitter going to the SAME input on both multiswitches, correct?

5. Jun 9, 2009 #5 of 19
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Use splitters that are power passing on BOTH legs.

6. Jun 9, 2009 #6 of 19
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  7. Jun 9, 2009 #7 of 19
    jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Yes, I also have the outputs going to the same inputs. My understanding is that even with everything hooked up "correctly", I should still expect this problem. Is that the case?

I guess I would need to know that before trying to run two SWM's in parallel. I also don't even know if I have the right dish for the SWM.

I rarely use the OTA's but like the idea of having them for a backup, but I am able to use them on the two DVR's in my basement since they're both in the same unfinished area where my satellite and OTA feeds come in from the outside.

I'd still like to understand what the SWM option entails, but at this point it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'll either correct whatever is wrong, if anything, with my current parallel setup, or go with the 6x16 switch.

8. Jun 9, 2009 #8 of 19
    jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
  9. Jun 9, 2009 #9 of 19
    evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Mertzen and VOS are both right. You need Splitters that are power passing on both ports. The way the Unpowered wb68's work is they pass the power on from the tuner to the LNB to power the specific combination needed. Simplest way to think of it is each of the 4 cables has 1/4 of the channels coming in on it and each particular cable only gets powered when a receiver on the power passing side is tuned to a channel from that cable. With 8 tuners in use on the power passing side the odds of at least one tuner being on each of the 4 possible cables is pretty good which is why it usually works. Those rare cases where one of the cables isn't being used by any the tuners on the power passing side are when you see the problems tuning that channel. Switching one of the other receivers to that channel adds power to that cable and it starts working. Splitters that are power passing on both sides would allow the receiver on the second WB68 to power the LNB when it needs to instead of relying on the power to come from one of the other receivers on the other switch.

10. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Thanks. Anyone happen to know of a specific brand/model of splitter that passes on both sides? I've been looking but haven't had any luck finding any that clearly specify that they work this way. A lot of them say "two-way" and "power-passing" but it's not clear that "two-way" doesn't just refer to being two-outputs, and "power-passing" isn't clearly on both sides. I'm still searching though.

11. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
  12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  13. Bucatrain40

Bucatrain40 Mentor

Aug 17, 2008
    I was having the same problem with 2 wb68s cascaded together,went to the 6x16 powered multiswitch and havent had that problem since.carl

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While the WB616 is nice, it's also pricey compared to the cost of a Sonora Locker [$50], which would do the exact same thing for two WB68s if they were in parallel.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Cascading WB68's is absolutely not recommended. Running them in parallel with dual port power passing splitters normally works well. If you have problems with them in parallel, adding the Sonora power inserter will solve that.

16. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Ok... how would I connect things using that Sonora power inserter? The photo doesn't enlarge enough to read the port labels, but just looking at the number of ports, I'm guessing the 4 cables from the dish go into the PI, then 4 cables out to the splitters, then 8 to the two WB68's (like I have them now). Correct?

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes.
    "now":
    The four cables don't matter going into the Sonora [from the dish], BUT coming out are labeled and need to go to the exact same [13 volt, 18 volt, 13 22 KHz, 18 KHz] inputs on both WB68s.

Here are some pictures with more than you need: http://www.sonoradesign.com/images/HRPD1422A_spec.pdf

18. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    Thanks, makes sense. What about the power-passing port on my splitters? Will that mess anything up? I can easily make sure that I keep it as I currently have it, with all the power-passing outputs going to the same WB68 - I probably won't even disconnect those. But is it ok to use the same ones?

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The Sonora has DC blocks in it, so your splitters will have zero affect.