1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Multiswitch Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jeffro7, Dec 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. jeffro7

jeffro7 Cool Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Right now I have a 5 LNB dish. I have 1 receiver downstairs and 3 receivers upstairs. I'd like to add a 4th receiver upstairs. I'm kind of a DIY'er and won't always have all 4 upstairs receivers activated at the same time, so I'm not really interested in calling DirecTV installation right now.

Question is - can I just take the lines for the 3 upstairs receivers and tie them into a 3X4 multiswitch, resulting in 4 upstairs receives? Obviously, I'll have some wiring to do so that I can have all 3 original lines come together at a single point for the multiswitch. Asked another way, do the 3 lines that go into the multiswitch have to be certain ones, or can they just be any random 3 coming off the dish?

Thanks very much in advance..

Oh..I'm considering a SWM solution too but don't feel like upgrading my receivers for the same reason mentioned above.

Jeff

2. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    You will need a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch. The four lines from the satelite into the multiswitch and the run the out ports to the receivers. You would be able to have up to 8 with this multiswitch. The 3x4 wont work for your situation.

3. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    what receiver(s) are you using? If you are just using SD receiver(s) and you don't have any locals on 119 then you should be able to use just 2 lines into a multiswitch. Any HD receiver tho will required 4 lines into a zinwell wb68 switch.

4. jeffro7

jeffro7 Cool Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks so far! Just using D10's and D11's. No HD. I am wanting locals in Cincinnati but am not sure if those are on 119. Can I still get away with a simple multiswitch?

Jeff

5. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    I'm almost positive your locals are on 101.....which means (I think) you could get away with the solution posted above.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A 3x4 switch (2 sat inputs and 4 outputs) will work fine FOR NOW, but keep in mind that future upgrades will likely require that it is changed to a more standard config.

7. jeffro7

jeffro7 Cool Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks for the advice!