1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

'Munsters' remake pilot ordered by NBC

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by frederic1943, Nov 16, 2011.

1. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    TV’s original American horror story is taking another step toward returning to primetime: NBC has ordered a pilot of Bryan Fuller’s remake of the classic TV show The Munsters.

The new version of the half-hour sitcom is bring re-imagined by the Pushing Daises creator as an hour-long series exploring how the monster house came about, and will have a darker and less campy feel than the black-and-white original.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/11/16/munsters-pilot/?hpt=hp_t2

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I was not a huge fan of the original.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    NBC is buying scripts and/or pilots for anything and everything. Think of a twist on a old TV show, and you too may be able to make a few bucks.

4. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I will watch it because of Bryan Fuller his Pushing Up Dasies and Dead Like Me were great shows that died too soon. I would like to see what kind of quirky take Fuller will bring to The Munsters.

5. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    Bryan Fuller was also responsible for Heroes when it was still good, and the brilliant but underrated Wonderfalls. The Munsters was a weak answer to the popularity of The Addams Family when it came out, but it had its charm. But in Bryan Fuller's hands, the re-imagining should be very good. The drawback is it's not likely to appeal to a wide audience, so we'll be lucky to get a full season. I'll still watch every episode that airs though.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Well, that can't be good.

Why do they insist on ruining everything?

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Agreed, there isn't a single thing about this project that bodes well.

8. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    It's a TV classic, leave it alone, campy worked at the time.

9. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    nor was I fan of the late 80's remake, "Munsters Today"

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It appears the TV industry has given up on creativity and prefers resurrecting shows from the past.

11. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    And the movie industry is the same way. It's just laziness!:nono:

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Not sure if it is laziness.... or risk/reward.

Lately it seems when you try to make something new, creative, and out of the box...
    It get's canceled after two or three shows, and has no time to adjust and gain legs.

Remakes, it get the burst of activity up front, that can carry it long enough to that second set of 4 episodes where they can make adjustments.

Take Knight Rider for example.... sucked for the first 4 or so shows, got a little bit better. Went on hiatus, they overhauled it basically bringing back the original formula... was canceled, but aired the handfull of new episodes and was REALLY good... but the cancilation was already dead....

Stargate SG-U... same thing.

Show have NO CHANCE now adays, if they don't bring in high ratings in the first 4 episodes (if not the first two). And with all the reality fluff filler crap out there right now... it is an easy trigger to pull for these networks.

13. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    As for the OP/Topic...

Let's see... let's take away what made the Munsters... the Munsters (The sappy/comedy/campy aspects).... and what do you get?

A show with the names of characters, and that is it....
    As the GREEN faces are going to look horrible.

If they really want to ge cute... do it in HD B/W... now that would be something to see and at least check out.

14. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Although I liked Munsters, Go Home! which was the Munsters movie, because you finally saw the characters in color.

15. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I will try it for sure but three letters will screw it up: NBC. Because of that, it will fail and I won't give it much thought. But I liked the original and will give it a shot. I want to see NBC succeed, I do, but with all there cancelizations and dropping good shows, I haven't given NBC a shot for at least 2 years now. So why should I start, :grin:

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm with you! Take a sappy/comedy/campy show and take those things away and it isn't that show anymore and most likely will suck!

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    And ruining them in the process...

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Ditto

19. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    No, two words, as cj9788 and balboadave said: Bryan Fuller. I'd watch even if he were remaking a used-car commercial.

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Oh, dear. What else can I say.