1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Murdoch Open to Bid Above $75 Billion for Time Warner

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Murdoch Open to Bid Above $75 Billion for Time Warner

(Bloomberg.com) - Fox’s willingness to raise its offer higher than $85 a share is contingent on Time Warner engaging in talks and opening its books to Fox, according to one of the people, who said Murdoch hasn’t been directly involved in discussions. A deal would reshape the media industry by giving the TV-and-film companies bargaining power in negotiations with cable operators such as Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Cable Inc., which are in the process of their own merger....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    If the fed lets this goes through, then well over 50% of produced media content will be in the hands of one company; a combined FOX and Warner Brothers. Not to mention all various content delivery sources which these two companies already own. This will be bad for consumers, TV stations, cable companies, satellite companies, and competing media companies. Prices will certainly go up and choice will certainly go down. Especially, if AT&T merges with DirecTV, and Time Warner Cable is bought by Comcast. What's next Verizon tries to buy DISH? Viacom buys up what is left that Disney, Comcast, FOX/WB does not own? Why don;t we just fast forward 10 years where there will be one media provider and distributor via cable, web Internet satellite; all called AT&T.

3. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    Great, look what this man did to US politics, and the yellow journalism that he is destroying america with.
    Lets give him more pull.

great idea

4. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I'm pretty sure US politics has been an issue like it has been in most parts of the world for a few hundred years. Plenty of examples. Plenty of examples of "journalism" issues as well on both sides.

5. Aug 5, 2014 #6 of 13
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In addition to the Jon Stewart mock Kickstarter campaign to buy CNN and Bill Maher's discussion about looking for a job, the real news was today's Murdoch Ends Bid for Time Warner which tell us:

Apparently the market disliked the proposal enough that the company now finds itself having to repurchase shares to shore up the stock price and make shareholders happy.

Incidentally, I am assuming that everyone here knows there is a difference between the Time Warner Inc. that Murdoch tried to buy and Time Warner Cable.

6. Aug 6, 2014 #7 of 13
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    [​IMG]

7. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    once comcrap takes over TWC out here I am gone

8. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Time Warner and Time Warner Cable are two different companies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    oopppsss lol my bad i'm not looking forward to the TWC comcrap merger eathier

10. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
  11. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    This guy is trying to buy up all media so he can present his version of revisionist history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    LOL.

Didn't he just get married to Jagger's EX?

He must be losing what's left of his marbles!