1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Murdoch Talks DIRECTV-Echo Deal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Blitz68, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    The media mogul fuels speculation that DIRECTV and EchoStar will make a deal.
    By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (July 24, 2006) -- Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corp., says the federal government would likely approve a merger between EchoStar and the News Corp.-owned DIRECTV.

Speculation has risen in the last week that the two satcasters will merge. But some analysts have expressed doubt, noting that the federal government rejected a similar merger in 2002 on grounds that it would stifle competition.

However, Murdoch says the marketplace has changed, leaving consumers with a variety of video choices.

"There are so many alternatives, ways of getting pictures and information," Murdoch said last week on The Charlie Rose Show. "I think it would be much harder for the government to turn it down."

Murdoch did not say if the two companies are in talks, but his comments have fueled talk that a deal could be forthcoming.

Still, Murdoch cautioned that a merger could be difficult because EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen might insist on running the company "at least for awhile."

Murdoch did not say if he would oppose that arrangement.

Murdoch's News Corp. and Ergen's EchoStar planned to merge in 1997 but the deal fell through when Ergen clashed with News Corp. executives prior to its completion.

DIRECTV and EchoStar helped fuel merger speculation this month when they teamed up to bid in next month's U.S. auction of wireless airwaves. And last March, Mike Palkovic, DIRECTV's chief financial officer, told an industry conference that his company was interested in buying EchoStar.

2. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Swami is nuts! There will not be a buyout or merger.

3. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Was swami in favor of the first merger attempt? I can't remember but it seems to me he did say in his predictions that the deal would go through. He was obviously wrong and he will be wrong again on this one. He is simply writing an article with speculation to get headlines and have people read his drivel. I don't see Charlie ever giving up control of his baby .

Now a limited merger of services in order to further both companies might be more in line. IF they could do more limited partnerships on say locals and hd and other things like video on demand and like they are doing with wireless internet I could see this. This would limit duplication to a minimum and help both services for bandwith .

4. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Godfather

Sep 27, 2005
    Man it's going to suck lining up the dish that points to 8 satellite slots!! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.