1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Murdock may "transfer" DirecTV Liberty Media

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Earl Bonovich, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/bs_nm/media_newscorp_liberty_dc_1

2. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    So what does this mean to the ownership of Directv by Rupert? Does this mean that Liberty Media chairman John Malone will own it instead? Will Rupert finally let go of Directv after he wanted it for so long? Someone please comment on this and give me some perspective.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    These are the only news reports on it....

And from those reports, how you described it... is exactly how it "appears" it would happen.

4. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Probable Outcome If Liberty Media Were To Take Control Of DirecTV:

1. Starz HD would probably be added as soon as they had the bandwith for it.
    2. The additional Starz channels not carried by DirecTV would be added.

Possible Outcome If Liberty Media Were To Take Control Of DirecTV:
    1. Some sort of Starz VOD type service would probably be available from DirecTV.
    2. Encore HD might return!
    3. GSN would always have a place on DirecTV.

I also noticed that Liberty Media owns OpenTV. I remember that Interactive features on DirecTV used to be done by Wink!, and while I know it's not Wink!, I don't remember who does the current Interactive features for DirecTV. I don't think it's OpenTV, is it?

~Alan

5. concord704

concord704 Mentor

Feb 19, 2006
    Not sure if this a reliable "news" website, but found comments interesting:

http://www.variety.com/VR1117950090.html

6. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    NDS.

7. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I was thinking that was right... I should have known! ;)

~Alan

8. uncrules

uncrules Godfather

Dec 20, 2005
    Variety is a very legitimate news site. It is the main entertainment industry source of news. It isn't some sort of tabloid newspaper.

9. Ohioankev

Ohioankev Legend

Jan 19, 2006
    If you check out the Liberty Media website, it is spun off from AT&T.

The company itself was aquired AT&T from TCI in 1999 for $54billion dollars,and spun off from AT&T in 2001 to become an independant company. Whats interesting about that statement is that AT&T leases DISH Network receivers and has in the past tried to purchase DISH Network.

Lets say in the future due to all of the legal pressure DISH Network is seeing they sell to AT&T and (this is the far fetched part) Direct TV is purchased by Liberty Media which is spun off from AT&T. Is there a way that AT&T can pull that company back under it's AT&T umbrella, via a sale and merge the two sattelite companies into one.

Thats just what i thought of once i seen that AT&T was affilated with Liberty Media at one time.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "Murdoch seems to vary from week to week on his commitment
    to being in the satellite television biz as 'industry transforming
    transactions' loom on the horizon"

From SkyRetailer

DirecTV Swap Between News Corp., Liberty Media?

News reports yesterday suggested that News Corp. and Liberty Media are discussing an agreement that would include swapping News Corp.'s 40 percent stake in DirecTV - worth about $9 billion - for Liberty's 18 percent hold on News Corp. (valued currently at $11 billion).

According to Wachovia's Jeff Wlodarczak citing a CNBC report, News Corp. owner Rupert Murdoch is souring on DirecTV and his company is attempting to resolve the 18 percent ownership stake issue by the Oct. 20 shareholder meeting. Press reports have noted that Liberty is also talking to News Corp. regarding its TV stations, the report said.

Wlodarczak said Murdoch seems to vary from week to week on his commitment to being in the satellite television biz as "industry transforming transactions" loom on the horizon for the U.S. DBS market.

Speaking on the recent talks of a merger between DirecTV and EchoStar Wlodoarczak said, "If management reached the conclusion that they could not clear regulatory hurdles or EchoStar CEO (Charlie) Ergen is unwilling to sell, it may - along with the prospect of buying back the 18 percent in News from Liberty - have opened up the possibility of a News Corp. exit from DirecTV.

"If News Corp. decides to swap its stake in DirecTV with Liberty Media it would likely reduce EchoStar's short-term negotiating leverage for a potential sale of the company to AT&T," the analyst said.

www.SkyRetailer.com - used with permission

11. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Might also mean the return of TiVo to DirecTV if he sells.

12. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Let's hope not! :eek2:

13. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I really wish I could get behind the HR20, Jeremy, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing on boards like this. The main thing I ask for a DVR to do is record reliably and store those recordings until I wish to delete them, provided the space is there. The HR20 might be an improvement over the R-15, but if neither are as reliable as my D-TiVos, I see no reason to jump.

I had high hopes when Murdoch came on board because I wanted D* to be affiliated with a content provider to allow it to have the same kind of leverage most cable companies have. Also, I didn't want the merger with E*. Now, I think a lot less of it and Murdoch himself, not that he was role model to me before. How was he not aware of the limitations of satellite before he dove in?

14. cdavis

cdavis Guest

Aug 11, 2006
    I hope it happens tomorrow and maybe we can get a new deal with tivo.

15. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I would love the return of Tivo.

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The HR20 has potential, and full reliability should just be a few days away. It was undoubtedly pushed out the door too soon, but I have faith that it's shortcomings will be corrected. In any event, mine hasn't missed any scheduled recordings yet.

17. UTFAN

UTFAN Legend

Nov 11, 2005
  18. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    Even if by some miracle they cut a new deal with Tivo you probably wouldn't see any new products for at least a couple of years. That on top of the fact I see no financial benefits to DTV under current or future ownership. They have already invested a tidy sum of money in developing their R15 and HR20 platforms. In the perfect world I would like to see both of them developed and maybe allow something like the Moxi system into the came so we have a large choice in the DVR technology we choose to use.

19. cookpr

cookpr Godfather

Aug 24, 2006
    Honeslty, being a 3 year investor in D*, this can be nothing but positive in my mind. I have sold off my interest in D* months ago, but seperating themselves from the umbrella of NewsCorp can only be a positive (lone negative being the available cash flow from News Corp).

I too had great hopes when Murdoch rode into town, but I think most of us can agree (that while the future looks brighter with the new sats going up in 2007), NewsCorp has had a fairly negative impact on D*:

1 - Picture quality continues to degrade - I remeber in the 90's when SD picture was simply phenomenal.

2 - They got caught with their pants down on HD (albeit, temporarily) when Dish took Rainbow over (Voom)...

3 - Their decision to jam all the SD locals onto the same sat is really the cause of the space problems...they simly dont have any, because they are covering 100+ markets each with there own feed of the locals.

4 - Tivo decision was awful....think regrets will begin when the cable cos roll out their TIVO boxes....delay in MPEG4 DVR was poor

And the list can go on....I will say, 2007 looks up, whether D* is part of NewsCorp or Liberty. I am assuming, this pretty far along in negotiations and seem like the best way to remedy the situation they are currently facing.

20. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

Sure it is and I have a bridge to sell you. :D They have been saying the same thing about the R-15 and its been close to a year now. The HR20 has many of the same issues the R-15 has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.