1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must carry issues to be resolved?

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by HIPAR, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    FCC Chairman Martin expects must carry rules to be finalized soon.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6339122.html?display=Breaking+News

If I am a small cable company with limited bandwidth and no digital infrastructure, this all means I'll need to spend lots of money on new equipment and pass the costs to my subscribers or simply go out of business.

--- CHAS

2. jegrant

jegrant Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    I don't know what the FCC has in store, but I think multicast-mustcarry should only be required for systems upgraded to 750Mhz of capacity (which is most modern cable systems these days) and should definitely be subject to the 33% cap on carriage of must-carry channels. I think that is plenty of protection for the cable industry.

3. Skapare

Skapare Cool Member

Jun 3, 2006
    I can't say what the FCC might do, but IMHO, multi-cast must-carry is a good idea, but should be limited to cable systems carrying the station programming digitally. If you carry the station in analog, you should then carry their primary subchannel (downconverted to SD when it is in HD or ED). But if you upgrade to digital, think of it as getting 3 MHz free in exchange for carrying 3 MHz of OTA programming (based on 256QAM having twice the bit rate of 8VSB).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.