1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MVR..What I got..What I need?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by RonH, May 20, 2011.

1. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I have a Slimline5 with Multiswitch,a HR21-700,a HR20-100 and a H21-200. I have AT&T Broadband with Linksys Router and a DirecTV Coax Cable at my Computer and I have the HR21-700 Hard Wired to my Router. What do I need to purchase(besides monthly fee) to setup MRV in my Home? Do I need anything special to have MRV access from BOTH DVRs?

Thanks

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Simplest way is to connect your DVRs and your receiver to a switch using Cat-5 then get them to turn it on. You can connect the switch to your router to enable VOD, etc.

3. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    What is the adapter called that Connects to my Router via an Ethernet cable and and to Satellite system via the Coax Cable that is connected to my Multiswitch? I don't really care about having Internet connection my other TVs since I have got that on my main HR21-700 I just want to be able to watch any Recorded show from either DVR on any TV.

Thanks

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It's not clear in your posts that you have a SWiM.
    Do your DVRs have two coax going to them or only one?

5. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    My bad they both have 2 coax.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So you're not on a SWiM, which means DECA isn't an option for you.
    You'll need to go ethernet to each receiver or:
    Change to SWiM, and then DECAs on each receiver and a BB DECA to your router for internet.

7. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks for info. I am wondering why do I need ethernet to the HR20-100 receiver? It no big deal for me to run a Hard wire from it to my Router but I thought all Viewing of recorded shows from a DVR to other TVs was done via the Coax setup.

edit: I think I understand.. I need each Receiver to be in my Network and the Hard Wire Ethernet is needed?

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What you're "missing" is how to get the recordings "on the coax".
    Your HR20-100 needs to have a DECA [DirecTV Ethernet to Coax Adapter] that connects the ethernet port to the coax, "but" the DECA doesn't work with the legacy multiswitch, and only works with the SWiM system that frees up the frequency band that DECA uses along with using splitters to pass the signal to other receivers.

9. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks for all the help. So if I don't won't to fool with DirecTv coming and changing me to SWiM. I would Hard Wire Ethernet to my other 2 receivers(the H21-200 and the HR20-100) then what other equipment if any would I need for MRV. Sorry for all the question but I am trying to save an Installation fee.....:D

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No equipment (adapters, power inserters, splitters) is required for an Ethernet Whole Home DVR setup other than a ~$30 Gigabit Ethernet switch. The only consideration is how much trouble it will be to get the Ethernet cables to the other two boxes.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Once each receiver is connected to your router/home network, then you're good to go and then use the sticky at the top to get DirecTV to activate MRV in the unsupported mode.

12. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    No trouble at all getting the Ethernet to other Receivers. I have got the Connectors,pliers and under the Floor access just need the CAT5.

13. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I see the Sticky about MRV but the 1st Post there talks about signing up a "Beta" user. I assume that old thread is there another Sticky I should look for getting Unsupported Home Networking activated or is that the method I need?

Thanks again

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That's the right thread. We were beta testers for a year using our own networking, so this is where the "beta" comes from. I think you can now skip that part and just tell them to activate as unsupported.

15. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Though I can do it, it going to be a little tougher than I thought for me just to Hard Wire my other 2 Receivers and do MRV "unsupported". So I called DirectV and I can get the SWiM install and kit I need with my Present Receivers for $148 or I can get "upgrade" deal and upgrade my H21-200 to a HD-DVR and get all installed for $199. If I knew for certain I would get a HR24 in the deal I might go for it even though I don't really need a 3rd DVR but it might be nice since my Wife records "Everything".

16. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    While it's not guaranteed, I believe that most WHDVR installs get 24s if everything is installed at the same time. The deal is not really that bad in your situation because you'd be getting switched over to SWiM along with the necessary DECA equipment for MRV and VOD.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    A switch that can handle 10/100 will work just fine, too. A gigabit switch is far from a requirement. Oh wait, you wouldn't know that though from first-hand experience.

- Merg

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, and I'd also be suspect of passing off a "$30 Gigabit Ethernet switch" in general. They don't all perform as well as they should and while not an absolute by any stretch, more expensive gear will tend to give better overall results.

Besides, it's looking like running those extra network wires is a bit more troublesome than originally anticipated - which has been part of my argument for DECA since the beginning. Not to mention, that wire isn't free either ;)

19. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    I agree $199 not a bad price for the install and adding a 3rd DVR. If I could eventually talk them down to say $149 for everything including swapping out for 3rd DVR I would do it.I know the guy that will be doing the install I was wondering say that the HR24 wasn't on the work order but he had one on the truck could he give a HR24 instead of what was on the list?

20. RonH

RonH Godfather

Jul 25, 2007
    Well after thinking about it ans seeing I had all the Cat5 Cable,Connectors and Pliers need already I would just Hard Wire my other 2 Receivers. Got it all done and verified I have Internet Connection to all Receivers. I have sent Email requesting that "Unsupported" Whole Home be activated. Just waiting to hear back.

Thanks again for the help guys.