1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 522 now has DOD

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by tsmacro, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2006 #1 of 51
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    *woo-hoo*:rolleyes: Well the good news is that it doesn't seem to have used up any of my hard drive space. Not sure how they pulled that off but I had about 30 free hours of space yesterday and now that DOD is on there tonight w/ it's four movies for $4.99 it still claims to have about 30 free hours of recording time available. This has got to be about the most useless feature ever, I mean four lame movies and they're actually MORE expensive than the PPV selections? Oh well i've seen it on other peoples receivers, so I knew what it was about already and was hoping they'd never get around to bothering to get it on 522's but now i've caught up w/ the rest of y'all lucky bastages who've had DOD for a while now!:lol:

2. Dec 7, 2006 #2 of 51
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    VOD has it's own hard drive space - reserved away from the day you got your 522 just for these special uses.

3. Dec 8, 2006 #3 of 51
    robert koerner

robert koerner Icon

Aug 20, 2005
    Aaaaaah.

Maybe that's why they rolled out updated software that was worse than what it replaced, to get DOD going.

Bob

4. Dec 8, 2006 #4 of 51
    nova828

nova828 Legend

Mar 28, 2004
    Is there an advantage to DOD over regular PPV that I am not seeing? If you order a PPV, you can record it to your DVR and keep it forever (or until your hard drive crashes) But if you order a DOD, you only have a limited time (24 hours?) to watch and then it's gone. DOD cost a dollar more too. I there a way to disable it? I'd rather not have my DVR recording these movies all night. It seems to me that would cause significantly more wear and tear and only increases the chance a crash might wipe out all my recordings.

So Bob, what specifically is worse about the software that you were talking about? (Other than DOD)

5. Dec 8, 2006 #5 of 51
    Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    When did Dish ever claim there was add'l, unused space on the HDD set aside for VOD ?? I thought that was the whole reason for the 625 - a 522 with a larger HDD, yet still can record the same # of hours as the 522. That add'l space was specifically for VOD.

6. Dec 8, 2006 #6 of 51
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There was space set aside on the 508 and 510 as well ... less space but still space that E* planned for VOD from the time those receivers were introduced.

7. Dec 8, 2006 #7 of 51
    Lammo

Lammo Cool Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Spokane,...
    OK, I've got it too. Now, how do I get rid of it? Whose bright idea was it to make me push my DVR button twice to get to my recordings? Also, when I'm "Done" viewing a particular show I am now defaulted back out to the top of my list of recordings - - used to go to the show I just quit watching. Any ideas on how to unfix this?

8. Dec 9, 2006 #8 of 51
    reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    DOD is useless. Give us real on Demand that the cable companies give you and not milk more money for useless PPV crap. Not only is DOD forced on the 508 and 510 but the software update actually breaks timers from firing and spins up the hard drive on and off every five or so minutes so it can wear out in a few months.

9. Dec 9, 2006 #9 of 51
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The new software also has the new side by side PIP.

10. javaman

javaman AllStar

Sep 26, 2004
    A few other changes I noticed,

- It appears they fixed that annoying blank screen glitch that was showing up when trying to play a recording. I also haven't noticed any freeze-ups or start-overs during visual search or skip button use either.

- Guide info is now credited to Tribune Media Services.

- The search screen is a bit different with more options added.

- In the diagnostics page there's a button called Send Status.

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Is this all from L413?

12. javaman

javaman AllStar

Sep 26, 2004
    Yep

13. DJ Lon

DJ Lon Legend

Nov 3, 2005
    What is the "TV Entertainment" selection in DOD for? I have 3 programs in it. And IMHO the search feature is now has way too many buttons.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    E* sends Movies on Demand to sell to you for $1 more than the PPV price.
    They also occasionally send you "TV Entertainment" - which are free programs that you can watch for a limited time. (E* does the adding and deleting.) There has been some good stuff in "TV Entertainment" - tastes and content varys.

15. allen98311

allen98311 AllStar

Jan 18, 2006
    Has anyone been able to play any of the on demand videos? When I play them, all I get is a black screen. The Fast Forward, Rewind, Stop, and Play buttons don't do anything. The only way to get off that black screen is to change channels.

16. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...

Yep same thing happened to me.

17. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I don't like having to press it twice either. This is how I first realized that I had the new firmware. Blech.

I don't beleive this is a new feature. If you stop a show you would be returned back to the list, but if you let the show run to the end it would return you to the show details screen, then back to the top. It's been that way at least for several months as it was a PITA when watching some of the Stargate or Dirty Job marathons or football games as I would have to keep scrolling down through the list to find the next episode/games.

18. Shadowtester

Shadowtester New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I hate having to push the button twice to get to my recording there should be a setting to allow you to chose where to default I would have it default to my recording and the second button push bring up the menu since I use my recording 99.9% more than their DOD content!!! Very dumb and irritating on their part in my opinion!!!!!!!!

19. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    :lol: I came home the other day and there was a five minute recording among my recordings telling me that I now have DOD and the basics on how to use it. funny how they only talked about the part of the DOD that you have to pay for :sure: and nothing about the free features (that don't seem to work so far anyway). The only thing about this that bothered me a little was they included it in the "my recordings" part of my DVR. Not that big a deal but now that I do have DOD w/ a section for free previews of shows and such things that maybe that's where this should've been placed and the "my recordings section" should be reserved for what I actually set up timers for personally. Once again though I suppose maybe they didn't put it in the free tv/features section because that doesn't seem to be working properly yet.

20. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    People are far more likely to notice it in the "My Recordings", especially if it's talking about a new feature that people aren't familiar with or worse, aware of. It takes up a minuscule amount of space too, in case people feel "ripped off ... they're stealing *my* recording space". Also, I'm positive the service agreement all of us signed says we allow Dish to do this....

For the add'l button press, I got VOD on my 622 a few months ago and went from 1-button to 2-button presses to access "My Recordings". Honestly, you get used to it, and forget the old way, VERY QUICKLY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.