1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dead H20-100 replaced by H21-?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ronsanjim, Jun 22, 2009.

1. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Returned from 4 week vacation and found my H20-100 with no power. Called D* and my online account says they shipped a H21-? My question is, what differences can I expect with this changeover?

Also, will I have any problems setting the H21 up?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The primary differences are:

The H21 does not have a built-in OTA tuner, but I believe DirecTV is just now rolling out new software that will allow their AM21 external antenna module to work with the H21. The only other notable difference is that the case is black instead of silver.

3. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    And the H21 has a network input on the back as well.

4. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Thanks for the info. Did the setup, and had problems. Their Tech couldn't figure it out, but promised to call me back in 1 hr. Never did call back.

I'm not getting any HD channels, or my KU on this receiver. My 2nd receiver is working just fine, and receiving SD and KU. Can this be a BB converter problem? Maybe it was killed when the receiver died?

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Did the replacement IRD not come with a new BBC?

6. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Thats what the tech asked. Nope. I'm getting HD on the low numbers (70 to 80's), but not on the high numbers.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Not getting? Not very descriptive.

What is the actual error?

Searching for Satellite (771)
    Channel not available
    or you get the SD version of 245 instead of HD?

Detail is needed to resolve your issue.

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I'd order a BBC either through CSR or online.

9. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    I get the banner, with a black screen, no error message. They are sending another BBC, and still awaiting their return phone call.

10. my1423

my1423 Godfather

May 16, 2009
    MUST HAvE bb converter to get the higher hd channels! I just had one replaced and it did not come with the bbc or any cables other than the power cable.

11. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    I went back into setup, and this time I was able to "install" the 95 sat. My KU international package is coming in now on the HD receiver. So now the only thing missing are the HD on the higher channels. Hopefully the BBC replacement will correct this.

The one disturbing thing about this whole process has been the lack of callbacks from Tech support. They left me with no channels being received, with a promise to call me back within 1 hour.

I finally had to go back into setup to fend for myself, to get this setup completed. Hope D* sends me a survey to complete on this experience.:nono2:

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    What selections have you made in the sat setup screens?

13. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Just to wind up my thread, here is what happened. They sent me 2 BBC, which did not help in getting the missing HD high numbers. They rolled a truck, replaced the switching, and the LNB. Still no HD on the higher channels.

The last resort was to replace the re-conditioned H21 they sent me, with an on truck H20. That did the trick, and everything is coming in just perfect. Can't say enough good things about Scott, out of Portia, Arkansas. Great job.