1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Distant Networks on Direc Tv are now Shut off

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Msguy, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2005 #1 of 24
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Ran through the program guide today and My Distant Networks from Direc Tv have been Shut off. I kept my locals. Bye Bye New York and L.A. Distants. You've been great to have for the last few years. You will be missed. Anyone else who had Distant Networks get there's turned off to?

2. May 1, 2005 #2 of 24
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  3. May 1, 2005 #3 of 24
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    yes i got a postcard but i did not return it. As much as i loved the distant network service i had both distant networks for a long time and my local channels also. but i decided to keep my locals because they are needed for more localized news and weather. It was nice having both distants and locals. But the Distants were finally shut off today.

4. May 1, 2005 #4 of 24
    n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    strange, I still have mine. Not just the O&O either.

5. May 2, 2005 #5 of 24
    bjg

bjg New Member

May 2, 2005
    I received a postcard a while ago saying I must check yes and send in by april 7 to keep my distant feed networks. I did so. I also called on April 7 to check to see if they had received my card and processed it. Dicrect TV course could not verify anything. So the customer service rep suggested we put notes in my file to assure it was documented that I wanted to keep my distant channels.

This am, they are gone. I called up Direct TV and the customer care rep says sorry they are disco and you can't get them back. I referred her to my record. She found it and it doesn't matter, it's a federal law, no post card, no dice. So I said give me your mgr.

So I got a guy who said that they had to receive the pcard. I asked so if you guys messed up the processing of the card, I lose and he would call that dept when they opened to find out if my card was received and not processed and or what the protocol was to follow.

I live in Idaho and can't via antennae get anything. I was reading that was the litmus test. I think I am getting screwed here and will am unsure how to proceed. It's a crock and poor customer service. I'm curious to know how many other folks are encountering this disruption after executing the pcard.

6. May 2, 2005 #6 of 24
    torre64

torre64 New Member

May 30, 2003
    I have locals and DNS but didn't get a card. any reason I wouldn't have a choice?

7. May 2, 2005 #7 of 24
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    torre64,

When did you receive your DNS channels (month and year)?

8. May 2, 2005 #8 of 24
    torre64

torre64 New Member

May 30, 2003
    I moved in Sept 2004. I was able to get locals and DNS without waivers since more than 70 miles from any station but within Nielson local market.

9. May 2, 2005 #9 of 24
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Ok, this is how I understand the law. If you got your locals after 1999 but before October 2004, you should be grandfathered on your distants until 2009. A DirecTV CSR manager has stated this when I inquired about my one distant, FOX NY.

If you are under Dish Network, I am not sure if they will leave your distants untouched. However, given their past history, you probably won't have anything to worry about.

The downside is that you lose grandfathering status if you move. Once you move, all bets are off.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I think DirecTV screwed up by not having a followup verification for this situation. Or the card should have been returned in either case.

11. mgmrick

mgmrick AllStar

Oct 19, 2004
    I did not get a post card. D* turned off my distants east and west about a month ago. However the hd east feeds stayed on not sure why.

Thanks
    Rick

12. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    Have you moved since you got your DNS originally? That's what happend to me. I moved into a locals area and they never asked me to turn them off, so I left them there. Now they are auditing and saw I wasn't eligible to keep them anyway so they didn't send me a card.

That being said, mine are all still on so we'll see when I lose them. :-( Sucks for football season since I'm a Pac-10 fan living in the Big 12 world....

13. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    I am still getting all 4 LA networks plus locals.

Over-the-air I cannot get any in-DMA channels, even with a rooftop antenna.

With a good indoor antenna I can get NBC/CBS/FOX/ABC/UPN/WB from OUTSIDE my DMA.

14. bobo

bobo Mentor

Aug 17, 2002
    I lost only CBS on distant networks both east and west, including HD feeds. Directv put in for a waiver for my local CBS which is the only of the four major networks which is locally owned. Supposedly this waiver will give me my HD CBS DNS feeds back. Directv claims waiver takes 45 days to receive.

15. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    Besides my local Philly stations I get the big four HD channels, ABC CBS NBC FOX, will I be losing those as well? I do not get the distant networks which I believe are in the 300 range just the HD channels. I pay nothing extra for them because I have the HD Package.

16. Stevo

Stevo AllStar

Sep 13, 2004
    Different eligibility now, you can keep those until DirecTV provides HD locals in your area.

17. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    Thanks Stevo

18. noname123

noname123 New Member

May 16, 2005
    anyone that had la/ny stations shut off should just call directv back and say you never received that postcard. they will shut off the local channels and give back the ny/la channels

19. mech2112

mech2112 New Member

Jun 25, 2005
    I keep reading about everyone quoting the law about DNS, here's the skinny. DTV and DISH cannot turn these services on for you if locals are available in your area, no ifs ands or butts. It has nothing to do with either company (they would love to have your money), it is the affiliates CBS NBC FOX AND ABC, its all about advertising, they claim they are losing revenue by customers not getting to see advertisements in the local markets. So enough finger pointing. DISH will also be sending out letters to their customers as well. Right now they are paying fines for broadcasting these channels to some of their customers. They won't pay that for very long. Some customers are eligible for HD DNS for now, but that is also going to change. Only 1 in 5 people who submit waivers for these services actually get them, it is at the sole discretion of the local affiliates, its almost like they stick their hand in a hat and say ok this one not the rest.

20. CYBERCUS HDTV

CYBERCUS HDTV New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    I HAVE A QUESTION. I WAS DISQUALIFIED FOR HDTV DISTANTS NETWORKS CBS HD EAST AND WEST NBC HD EAST AND WEST ABC HD EAST AND WEST. HOWEVER I HAVN'T HERD ANYTHING FROM FOX EAST AND WEST HD YET. MY LOCAL CABLE COMPANY WILL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CARRY MY LOCAL FOX HDTV STATION. SO CAN I BE QUALIFIED FOR THE NATIONAL FOX HDTV EAST AND WEST FROM DIRECTV I LIVE IN BUFFALO NY.. ANYONE FROM BUFFALO NY ANY DOES ANYONE HAVE DIRECTV HDTV WITH NATIONAL FEEDS FROM BUFFALO NEWYORKS. THANXXXXXXXXXXXX CYBERCUS HDTV. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.