1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

My DVRs are CAT5 connected. Why won't DirecTV activate whole home DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dandar, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dandar

dandar New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    They want to send a tech out and charge me $199.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Did you specify you wanted it activated as unsupported?

3. dandar

dandar New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    No I went online to activate it and it wasn't an option, it just said to call them. So I did and the sales person said that the tech would have to come out and activate it through their PDA (I smell BS).

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Your best bet is to email your request, CSR's don't have a clue about the unsupported setup.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  6. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    As has been pointed out you can avoid the install but at the cost of being unsupported although paying the same monthly fee as those who are.

Done their way your existing home network would not carry the traffic between DVRs and HD receivers and they would have ownership of the "network infrastructure" that does. Using your home LAN they've no training in that area and too many variable exist.

Whole Home works GREAT on a traditional hardwired home network. There are however glitches from time to time regardless of transport layer. If you don't mind self troubleshooting it's a fine way to go.

You might be able to negotiate down pricing on the install as well and run supported. I run on my own home network though I have bridged to a small DECA cloud but that gains me nothing support wise. . .

If you've others in the home that might find themselves needing to fix things while you are out of town or away from the home, supported might make more sense.

Don "I'm just sayin" Bolton

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There is a very specific method to get the unsupported version of whole home setup...follow VOS's post.

8. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    When you get MRV activated as unsupported, look at this link to learn about assigning static IP addresses to your receivers. I quickly learned this was needed to prevent the receivers from dropping off the network at awkward moments.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=200715

9. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Please follow the link provided and I will close this thread. Instructions on how to do what you are looking to do are included there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.