1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

My experience with a local satellite provider

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by peters4n6, Dec 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    Was experiencing some suboptimal signal strengths so I called out a local satellite service provider to peak my signal. In the end, the tech achieved some better readings, he checked my connections, cleaned off ones that had a tiny bit of rust on them (the dish install was in 2/08), and replaced a fitting on my OTA antenna.

Notable was the tech's hard sell to "get me all new equipment" once he heard my install was over two years old. Better yet, he said I could (Read: should) switch to DISH and could avoid the service call charge ($89). I told him I had re-upped with some D* replacement receivers over the years and was still under commitment anyway. He was none too pleased that he couldn't up-sell me.

FWIW, he used a Bird Dog meter, and as I stated earlier, he achieved improvement in what I had (had some readings on 103 and 99 that were in mid and high 70s; after his tweaking the lowest I had was mid-80s). When I asked him if that was the best he could do, he said peaking in our part of the country is extremely difficult (Tucson, AZ) and that generally he doesn't get concerned unless a customer has readings in the 50s and 60s. In Phoenix (120 mi. north), he said, "Techs sometimes do D* installs with 2 dishes because of the difficulty getting good readings (really?)

2. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    That guy was on crack.

Anything sub 80, accross the US, will fail the installation verification hands down. Passing levels vary by market, but most if not all are at least 85 or higher.

As for two dishes to get better signals. Thats funny. Not even remotely true.

If anything, the further south you are, the better your max readings should be.

3. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    Thanks for the input RobertE.

Is there any knowledge of what the actual acceptable strengths are by zip code? I did call D* last month about my signal strengths and they commented on difficulty with signal strengths "in my part of the country" Could this tech just be regurgitating what D* is telling his outfit?

As far as the installation verification is concerned, I recently added a HR24-500 to my setup which i purchased from a reseller (and got credited by D*),. When I hooked it up and called in for activation, I do remember getting some sort of error (don't recall exactly what it was) and the D* CS rep told me to ignore the error warning and just to click "OK" to get through the activation. When I asked him, jokingly, about ignoring the "error" he said that every HR24 that gets activated has that error and that the error was a bug.

And just for my edification, is it not remotely true, as you put it, that two dishes can't get a better signal, or that it is not remotely true that any D* install would ever involve two dishes for reasons of signal strength (even if the logic behind it is flawed)?

4. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    The error you got was REDX's From the transponders that were below level-meaning your dish needs adjustment and all cable connections should be redone or at least checked for damage from weather.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Only in Alaska & Hawaii are two dishes used for signal strength and this is because they're out of the arc of the SATs, so 110 & 119 have to be pointed slightly differently than the 99/101/103 dish.

6. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    Well at least I have dbstalk members not feeding me bunk. Thanks folks.