1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend got an HR21 and likes the picture better than the HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GlennDio, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 7, 2007 #1 of 20
    GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    My friend had one HR20 and just added an HR21 (he really wanted the OTA capabilities but had the installer out 3 times so he was happy to just get the 21) ... but he had to switch around his TV's receivers and the TV with the 21 on it now (via HDMI) used to be the TV he had connected to the HR20 (Via Component) and he says the picture is noticably better from the HR21!!!!

has this been seen other places?
    Is this just a bad software load on the 20?
    is the HDMI better on the 21? (I know my 20 looks identicle on HDMI or Component)

Interested to know will add 21 if truely better HD picture inspite of no OTA

2. Nov 7, 2007 #2 of 20
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I can see the difference between HDMI and component.

That alone could explain a difference.

3. Nov 7, 2007 #3 of 20
    GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    the funny thing is I have an identicle set to the one he has and you know the difference isn't that great .... I asked him if he changed the settings on the TV and he said no

4. Nov 7, 2007 #4 of 20
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    To you the difference isn't that great. To you.

It is to me. It might also be to your buddy.

You might well be the variable in this equation, not the set top box.

5. Nov 7, 2007 #5 of 20
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I'm not saying the HR21 couldn't have a better picture than the HR20. It is a later model.

I'm just saying that in my experience, cables alone could make this difference.

I'd love to hear the opinion of any picture differences from somebody who owns both boxes.

6. Nov 7, 2007 #6 of 20
    SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    I also fully see the difference between component cables and HDMI! I have only HR20s, so I can't comment on the 21, but the cables when compared on a 20 are HUGE to me.

7. Nov 7, 2007 #7 of 20
    GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    Then this was probably the issue .... hopefully the picture is equal so I don't have to choose between better picture and OTA

8. Nov 7, 2007 #8 of 20
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I recently swapped my HR21 and an HR20. I can't tell the difference between the 2 models on my bedroom TV connected via hdmi. On the smaller set in the office that only has component inputs for HD, I'd say that the HR21 had a slightly better/crisper picture than the HR20, not by much, but I have noticed it when bringing up the menu or GUI.

So I'd say it's quite plausible that the HR21's picture is better than the HR20's at least when it comes to comparing component connections. I really can't say that either is better via HDMI - both look great via that connection.

9. Nov 7, 2007 #9 of 20
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire

So in your situation, which looks better on your set? HDMI or component?

10. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    HDMI on all 3 of my HR20s.....hands down.

11. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That's what I thought.

12. V'ger

V'ger Icon

Oct 3, 2007

Many TVs have memory and can save different color/tint/contrast/brightness/etc settings on each input. This could easily make the picture better or worse from one input to another.

13. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    So your "friend" got an HR21... :)

I have tried them in all different ways on two different TV's and see no difference.

Remember that each input is calibrated individually. I bet you are seeing more of the differences in calibration than receivers.

- Craig

14. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Absolutely concur! The biggest difference that one will see when switching from HDMI to component will be the difference in calibration of the input. If both inputs are IMF calibrated to the same source, the difference is, IMHO, beyond the ability of the human eye to differentiate.

I have seen this on a Panny plasma, and neither by having my eyeball right next to the screen or by watching from a reasonable distance was I able to see any difference at all.

Of course, if your HR20 looks better to you when using HDMI, by all means....

15. Richard L Bray

Richard L Bray Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    Something else is going on here. Other things remaining equal, should be basically no difference. Maybe difference is in calibration of the two different inputs. Other possibilities include defective cables, defective input on TV, etc.

16. GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    You know this must be the answer ... I had both settings pretty good on my SXRD 50in since I had the Sat going in HDMI and a DVD in Component but my friend (he has a 55 in SXRD) never had anything going in his HDMI just the old receiver into Component (which he probably had bad settings on --I never saw it we are just friends at work) so when he goes to default settings on the HDMI input voila -- great picture

17. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I have an HR20-100 and HR21 side by side going into the same tv. the HR20 uses a bought HDMI (good) and the HR21 uses the HDMI with it - I say the HR21 has the better picture with the supposedly inferior HDMI.

18. vtfan99

vtfan99 Legend

Apr 11, 2006
    One thing to remember too is that not every TV (of the same make/model/etc) has the same settings. Who knows what the settings were when it came out of the box...you could have had vastly different settings from the start than your friend.

19. toy4two

toy4two Legend

Aug 17, 2006
    simple to prove, just record the HDnet test patterns on both and do the effective resolution test and tell us which one is better.

[​IMG]

Look for John Mason on AVSforum he can tell you how to find a reciever's effective resolution by using that test.

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I can tell you that having seen both under extremely similar circumstances, I see no difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.