1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

My Genie (my friend) called it quits tonight

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by directv newb, Mar 31, 2014.

1. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    All of a sudden my screen froze and I figured I would just change the channel and be back in business, but no response at all. I did a red button re-set and it did a ton of scanning that I won't get into but it kept saying critical error on storage device. I unplugged for 5 minutes and tried again but it was doing the same thing and I knew the HD was gone. I paid the $20.00 and they are shipping me out a new one. It is a sickening feeling losing all your damn shows, my channels, my settings, the whole thing leaves you feeling sick and distraught. The one silver lining is that I opted for the H24 not a client so I can go and sit in my office and watch t.v. that makes me happy. I am NOT complaining just whining :)

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    34 or 44 ??

:eek2:

3. Apr 1, 2014 #3 of 14
    directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    HR34

4. Apr 1, 2014 #4 of 14
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Maybe you'll get lucky and receive an HR44 as the replacement. There is a common belief that the HR44 is less prone to hard drive failure due to the fact that the HR44 uees an external power supply, which allows the HR44 to run cooler than the HR34.

5. Apr 1, 2014 #5 of 14
    BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    I feel your pain. A few months ago I had an HR24 bite the dust (same critical error on storage device) and take a bunch of recordings with it. And, now I have another HR24 that is just about to give up the ship (it did a low level scan all on it's own and "fixed" 1402 errors). So, some of the recordings that I like on that box are about to become toast as well.

I have no problem with DirecTV copy protecting the programs, but it would really be nice to be able to transfer a recording from one receiver to another when a DVR is about to die. But, I don't think that is in the cards.

I guess a DVR means it is only a time-shift proposition; not an archival medium. Although, I have a friend with an HR22 that is still working just great. So, it is probably an issue that is localized to newer equipment.

Thanks for letting me whine too.

6. Apr 1, 2014 #6 of 14
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That is 100% spot on!

7. Apr 1, 2014 #7 of 14
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, is just the "luck of the draw" I have seen hard drives fail in a week as as I seen hard drives last for many years.

8. Apr 1, 2014 #8 of 14
    inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    That's exactly it - Hard drives are made by the thousands in a day at any given factory, some times there are bad batches or one that makes it through the quality control test yet still fails due to a number of variables (damage done during shipping of the hard drive, shipping of the receiver, or just normal failure of a device that involves moving parts and circuit boards.)

9. Apr 9, 2014 #9 of 14
    Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    I am sorry buddy you went thru this and I hope you dont have anymore issues with your new one!!

:(

10. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I know this sounds messed up but I thought your real friend named Genie died, At least from what I read from the title.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

11. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    I am back up and running with a new HR34, actually it wasn't so bad, just a some work setting things back up and it is weird going to "list" and there being nothing there. It was funny because at first I didn't really know what to do, I just kept hitting "list" and it was empty and I just had to watch regular tv with commercials until the list got filled back up.

12. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    A solution to the failing hard drive issue is to use am eSata RAID array. With RAID if a hard drive fails you just replace it and you have not lost anything. While the array would still be tied to specific DVR the odds of a DVR failure are greatly reduced taking the hard drive out of the picture. I don't have any actual stats but i would guess 90% of DVR failures are due to the hard drive.

13. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    No thanks, I have used external drives before and had nothing but problems. The 1tb is just fine and until the dvr is a cloud based service hard drive failures are just something to be dealt with.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, but RAID can help to ameliorate this