DBSTalk Forum banner

My Genie Upgrade. Not!

6K views 114 replies 17 participants last post by  PDXDirecTVFan 
#1 ·
Been with directv for 10 years and each time I've had to deal with installers it turns out a frustrating experience. A few years back when we upgraded to hd the installer never could figure out how to run a 2nd line to our bedroom So we were left with a dvr that could only watch/record on one channel

Today I was scheduled to upgrade to a genie/mini. Wanted the hr44. No can do. Maybe in 4-5 months. Then I was told I would need a new dish and it would have to be installed on the roof (no). Or on a pole. But I would have to get ms utility to mark the area. Bottom line. No install.

At this rate ill be on rabbit ears before the end of the year. They make it too hard.

#3 ·
Where is your dish now?

But I would have to get ms utility to mark the area this is the law is some states

#4 ·
It's on the corner just below the roof line. It has 3 support brackets and that was the problem according to the installer. He said the new dish is larger and I would need it due to my programming. I was going to get the nfl st again this year. But not anymore. Had the genie and st in the order and ended up canceling the whole package

Supposedly the new dish has larger brackets

#7 ·
VaJim said:
It's on the corner just below the roof line. It has 3 support brackets and that was the problem according to the installer. He said the new dish is larger and I would need it due to my programming. I was going to get the nfl st again this year. But not anymore. Had the genie and st in the order and ended up canceling the whole package
What dish do you have now? If you have Hi Definition now, something doesn't make sense.

#9 ·
the tech is suposed to just replaced the LNB

#13 ·
#14 ·
VaJim said:
Been with directv for 10 years and each time I've had to deal with installers it turns out a frustrating experience. A few years back when we upgraded to hd the installer never could figure out how to run a 2nd line to our bedroom So we were left with a dvr that could only watch/record on one channel

Today I was scheduled to upgrade to a genie/mini. Wanted the hr44. No can do. Maybe in 4-5 months. Then I was told I would need a new dish and it would have to be installed on the roof (no). Or on a pole. But I would have to get ms utility to mark the area. Bottom line. No install.

At this rate ill be on rabbit ears before the end of the year. They make it too hard.
VaJim said:

If you truly got HD a few years ago, that oval shape-like dish is the larger dish. If it is still an 18" round dish, then DirecTV owes you a lot of money.

#15 ·
Drucifer said:
If you truly got HD a few years ago, that oval shape-like dish is the larger dish. If it is still an 18" round dish, then DirecTV owes you a lot of money.
I'm pretty sure we've got hd. The installer seemed to focus on the support brackets and how his company did not use or support those pointing to theirs being larger. The need for the new larger dish was to get all we get plus the nfl st. But yet I've had the nfl st since 2003. First with the small regular dish and now the slimline

#20 ·
Darn. My boxes tell me I have SWiM installed, so you're on a different DVR and software.

As to definitively knowing if you have HD, go to Menu-> Settings-> Display-> TV resolutions. What's checked there? Check 720 and 1080i. Does your TV provide info as to resolution?

#21 ·
Laxguy said:
Darn. My boxes tell me I have SWiM installed, so you're on a different DVR and software.

As to definitively knowing if you have HD, go to Menu-> Settings-> Display-> TV resolutions. What's checked there? Check 720 and 1080i. Does your TV provide info as to resolution?
just checked the settings area....my dish is a slimline-5, 1080i...Sony Bravia....the receiver is a HR21-100, ver. ox6d8

#25 ·
inkahauts said:
What exact equipment do you have and how many tvs do you have VaJim?

2 tvs....sony bravia and a samsung in the bedroom with only one line. upstairs one std dtv receiver on a older sony std tv. the 2 hd receivers are the hr21-100...while the std receiver is the small silver model box. one other thing....i had heard in here that i could keep one of my current dvrs to play back any of my wifes shows. the installer was clueless how that would work...?

#26 ·
Wait, something is still missing here. It sounds like you have 2 hd dvrs? Or am I just reading that wrong?

And yeah, you need them to upgrade your dish to swim lnb, then pop the genie (dont wait, jump now) in the living room and connect the hr22 you have to your tv upstairs, and set it for both tuners (swim allows one line for both tuners now) and turn on MRV which will allow you to see and play back shows from either dvr to the other. If he didn't know about MRV you just got the newbie that has no clue about anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.