1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HR-10 is sick I think

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wipeout, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    For that past month we will be watching prerecorded or live tv and all of a sudden the unit switches to 480i, the record light goes on and the tv goes blank. I have to come back to it later in the day to watch it again. Is the harddrive goinging or is it a software issue.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Doesn't sound like a harddrive problem. How is the HR10-250 connected to your TV (HDMI? Component video?). What happens if you manually change the video output resolution from 480i to 720p or 1080i? Does the TV come back?

Tell us more about the troubleshooting you've done so far.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Out of curiosity, how old is the HR10?

4. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I believe it is about 2.5 years old. Shortly after the introduction of the HR-10 DirecTV ended it's relationship with Tivo.

5. JohnLips

JohnLips Cool Member

May 23, 2006
    Has this happend more than once? If it was only the one time. Just keep a eye on it. It may be ok. Computers are an odd lot. My HR10-250 has done some strange things and sometimes a hard reboot is necessary.

John

6. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    :confused: They have a contract that runs through 2010. No new units are on the horizon, but there's an update scheduled for the S2 units, I've heard some folks question whether the HR10 will be included, for next year.

Personally, if the HR10 is the only HD equipment you have, I'd call DIRECTV and see what kind of deal they'll give you. I'd much rather have the new HD channels if I'm paying the HD access fee.

7. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003

It has been hooked up via HDMI for its first two years but I switched it to component because I figured I was just having the dreaded HDMI issue that some have had with this box but it made no difference.

Once it switches to 480i on its own I can't get it to switch back to 1080i or any other resolution no matter what I do. Remember the red record light then goes on and I have tried unplugging the thing and nothing. I just have to let it go for a while and come back to it later.

8. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    Two years old I believe.

9. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    Multiple times over the last month. Tried hard reboot and it will not respond.

10. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I already got them to swap out one HR-10 for the HR-20 for free so I will have to wait for a while before trying for another deal that is similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.