1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my HR21 suddenly went from 118 degrees to 77 ~ 80 degrees?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bluemoose, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    I frequently monitor the temps in both of my HR21s. (one big reason is that
    I took out the original hard drives and installed 1TB drives inside both)

The temp has always been hovering between 117 and 119, after an hour or
    two of use. (the room temp is always maintained at 66 degrees, because I
    like it cold)

Yesterday, I suddently noticed that one of the HR21 showed 77 degrees...
    up to 80 degrees..... after 3 hours of use. I tried it again today, still
    in the same range...

Is the temp sensor inside that HR21 kaputt? :confused:

Thanks! :)

2. dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    did you purchase those HR21s for full price???? i dont think D* will take kindly to you opening and modifying one of the boxes they own....

and AFAIK, it uses the temp sensor inside the hard drive, so your sensor may have gone bad.

3. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    :rolleyes: :nono2:

At least this part was useful.

Yes, the temp sensor apparently is in the drive. Since I disconnected the internal drives in both of my leased units because I felt like it the temp reads 32 degrees which one would assume is a conversion from Celsius and thus no drive =0 C or 32 F

4. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    They don't have to worry about it unless they wanted to quit DirecTV or return the receivers. If they put the original drives back in they probably wouldn't be charged the $470 for a non-return.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    bluemoose, does it seem like the unit is running the same temperature as always? The change you are reading would be readily apparent. I'd trust you and your experience more than a sensor, especially on a modified unit.

It's also nice to see your mother posting in this thread.

6. bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007

good point... I just felt the top and rear of the HR21 in question. It's no warmer
    than ther other HR21(or my other HR20).... guess it's fine...

still the temp readin has now been stuck at 77 degrees since this morning....
    maybe I'll leave it unplugged tonight and see what happens tomorrow... :)

:)

7. EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM Legend

Jan 18, 2008

This is true, but kiss your warranty / protection plan coverage goodbye on that receiver, once the seal is broken.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    A reminder, if you open your DVR you are voiding your warranty, violating your lease agreement and DIRECTV's policies.

Also, it's been said before that the temp sensor is in the drive assembly.

9. liverpool

liverpool Legend

Jan 29, 2007
    All you have to do is plead ignorance. The boxes will have been through to many people prior to installation and in transit back to them they cannot prove you opened the box.

10. LVKeith

LVKeith Mentor

Nov 12, 2007
    I just installed an esata drive (Antec MX-1, Seagate 750GB) and my temps dropped to 77. So the sensor is definitely on the internal hard drive.

Keith

11. bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    My HR20 does has a warranty seal on it, but both of my HR21s don't. I received the
    HR21s from DirecTV new last month. The boxes were unopened/sealed.

This is why I only opened the HR21s to put in new hard drives, but not on the HR20. :)

Come to think of it, are you saying that all HD DVRs are supposed to have warranty
    seals on the back? :confused:

12. EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM Legend

Jan 18, 2008
    Yes, and my HR21 has one on the back/lower left corner. Once the seals are missing or broken while activated and/or then deactivated, DirecTV will consider these receivers as tampered in the leeser's care. If the receiver and a seal was missing or broken out of the box (never activated on your account), you're entitled to exchange the receiver, at no penalty.

Frankly, this is common sense for any equipment, with manufacturer warranties. It doesn't matter if you fully own the receiver or not. If it breaks, after tampering with the seal, responsibility falls on you 100%. Also, if you return LEASED equipment tampered, (working or not) you're at risk of paying for the unit in-full. I'm not sure if DirecTV allows tampered equipment to pass thru the remanufacturing line.

13. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    It's also a federal crime to remove the tag from your mattress. I wouldn't worry about it. :lol:

14. EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM Legend

Jan 18, 2008

Yeah, I'll never understand that one. :confused:

15. GT200

GT200 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    :lol: Its a federal crime for the retailer to remove the tag of the mattress ...not the consumer

16. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006

Many have no seal. My Hr20 came out of the box with no seal whatsoever

17. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    I know, I was just trying to bring light to how unintimidating it is to violate DirecTv's lease agreement. They've got me shaking in my boots. :lol:

18. rjf

rjf Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    isn't being charged $470 for opening the box basiclly the same as buying one new and owning it? i have no plans on opening either of mine, but if they ever disable the esata feature i'll have to rethink that.

i've got an esata on one hr20 but not on the other and i've got ext fans venting both units. my internal temps are exactly the same at 117. maybe i don't check often enough, but i would've thought having an ext drive would've dropped it a few degrees at least.

19. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    don't tell anyone but i have a 500GB in one of mine/DirecTvs'

20. poppo

poppo Hall Of Fame

Oct 10, 2006
    First of all, it is quite simple to remove the seal without breaking it, Secondly, do you really think someone at the DirecTV repair depot actually takes the time (or really cares) to check the seals? As long as the unit has all of the parts and was not obviously modified I really doubt anyone is going to call the DirecTV 'broken tamper seal hotline'.

I don't know why some people feel the need to constantly spread FUD about this sort of stuff. If someone wants to open their unit, that's their choice. It's that simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.