1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HR22 remote is dying: Should I replace it or try to upgrade to a HR24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Castaa, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1 of 22
    Castaa

Castaa New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Many of my (Model No. RC64R) remote control buttons for my R22-100 receiver have stopped working over time. Due to normal "wear and tear" use I guess. I've had this HR22 receiver for over 2 years. I believe I have the current HD dish, because I'm subscribed to nearly all the HD channel packages.

Should I:
    1.) Buy a new remote myself
    2.) Ask D* to replace the broken remote for free
    3.) Ask D* for a free upgraded HR24 box by threatenig to quit D* for good?

I'm quite willing to quit D*, due to their unbelievably crappy/slow hardware.

Thanks for any advice. :)

2. Jul 5, 2011 #2 of 22
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Hmm, leading question?

Option #2

3. Jul 5, 2011 #3 of 22
    TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    If you have the protection plan. they will replace the remote for free.

4. Jul 5, 2011 #4 of 22
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    or, assuming all the buttons still work if you press hard enough,

4). Fix the remote you have by popping off the faceplate, removing the screws and cleaning the board and contacts with alcohol on a swab. Then you'll get another few years out of it.

Without the protection plan, they won't give you a new remote. Remotes are very cheap on ebay. A universal remote would be an even better replacement.

And I wouldn't threaten to quit unless you have a backup plan in case they call your bluff. If you do quit, within 3 weeks you'll be inundated with new customer offers in the mail. At that point you can get an HR24, new remote, SWM, DECA, MRV, the whole nine yards, plus around $500 in new customer savings. So actually quitting would be your best option if you have the patience for it.

5. Jul 6, 2011 #5 of 22
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You must be really hard on remotes, because I still have my original remote with my original HR20 and it works like the day I got it...seems to me your issues are much bigger if you are going to try your bull in a china shop approach to just getting a lousy remote replaced...maybe Dish, U-Verse, or Comcast would be a better fit for you.

6. Jul 6, 2011 #6 of 22
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    just buy a remote somewhere, or call and maybe they will send you one. worth a call, but if you try the cancel route be fully prepared to actually cancel and pay any applicable ETF's then.

7. Jul 6, 2011 #7 of 22
    bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    I just ordered a new rc64r since some of the buttons on my old one are getting "iffy". When I switch to a new rf remote do I just run through the steps in setting up the remote in setup or do I need to set the hr20 back to the default rf setting first?

8. Jul 6, 2011 #8 of 22
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Since you can't easily navigate through the setup screens without a remote, I'd switch everything back to IR to start with the old remote, then go to RF with the new one. Of course, if you already know the steps and don't need the setup screens, all you need to do is enter the RF ID in your new remote and you'll be back in business.

However, I still recommend a good cleaning over replacement. I've kept these types of remotes going for over 10 years with a cleaning every few years. In fact, if it's a backlit model, I'd love to have your old remote. PM me if you're interested.

9. Jul 6, 2011 #9 of 22
    bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    I tried to open the remote to clean the contacts, but after removing the battery door and 2 small screws there, I was unable to get the back off. I could get the lower part to come apart, but there was so much resistance about half way up the remote that I was afraid to force it further. I assume there are tabs that have to let go. Do you have any helpful hints?

10. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    There are a total of 5 screws - 2 in the battery bay and 3 on the front. You have to pop off the darker grey plate on the front and remove the 3 screws under it. Then it should pop open easily. Then swab the contacts on the circuit board and on the key membrane. Go lightly so you don't rub off all the black conductive paint. You just want to get the loose bits. Get the button side too in case there's any crud built up that could cause sticking. These pictures may help:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Thanks for the help. I cleaned the contacts and it is working like new. Too bad I ordered the replacement, but it was less than $10 after shipping costs so I can keep it as an extra or use it on one of my old r-15's.

12. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Thank you very much for your advice. I finally got around to doing this and now the remote works almost like new. :)

13. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    If hardware that you do not own, but instead are leasing fails to function you shouldn't need a protection plan for them to replace it for you.

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Remotes aren't leased (they are included with leased receivers, but when returning one of these you don't need to return the remote).

15. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Just one of the many confusing nuances in "leasing" equipment from DirecTV.

16. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
  17. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I think I'd rather clean mine than pay $360 for one :p

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Heck, you even have a lifetime battery supply! (Added a "monetary delimiter".....):sure:

19. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
  20. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    You are correct they do come with batteries.....

Thanks for fixing my math error, I get too excited when talking about these cheap remotes!

Bob P.