1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY HR24s need to be frequently resest

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by E91, Nov 15, 2010.

1. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    I keep on getting odd problems on my HR24s that are all cleared up with a reset. Most of the problems I have seem to be issues that others are having (judging by previous threads here) and some seem to be very specific to MRV (I have two HR24s linked via DECA). In the end, it may be considered a minor issue because there is a workaround, but it speaks to the instability of these units.

One issue I get every once in a while is with a watching a recorded show. I'll click on it in my list of recorded shows and it nothing comes up but a black screen - no picture. I reset the unit, and boom, show is there with no problems.

Last night I got the audio dropout problem some have discussed here - on a recorded show. In this case, MRV was definitely involved because the show was on my dining room's DVR and I was in the family room. I started to watch the show and the sound was halting, with cracks and pops and some dropouts. Reset the unit and the problem totally went away.

Anyway, I am still happy with the HR24s and glad about my switch to D* from E*, but these units are nowhere near as stable as my VIP722 was with DISH.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The process of stabilizing the 24s will probably take some time. Have patience, they are already much better than the 20-700s were at the same point in their existence.

Rich

3. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I haven't had the MRV black screens but some of the behavior I've seen. Other problems I've seen with the HR24s seem to have reasonable explanations in my case...

The audio break-ups I've heard with MediaShare and MRV occurred when a f/w update dumped the guide cache. F/W updates don't always dump the guide cache but two restarts or RBRs within 30 minutes will dump it as well as running satellite setup.

Most of the problems I was having with one particular HR24 was later determined to be caused by having the PI-IRD coax port supply the sat feed to the HR24. That's no longer a preferred setup for the HR24 or DECA. It's best to have the PI alone on the splitter's DC pass-through port.

There's also a known slow UI condition induced by opening TV APPS while in a scoreguide enabled channel. If your UI is slow to remote response, try re-tuning to a channel such as 206 (live) and wait for the scoreguide (notification) pop-up and retest your remote response.

Most coming to this forum are now (hopefully) aware of the need to switch to static IPs if losing network connection of receivers.

I did have a HDMI sync loss issue on one TV set that needed a resolution; that seems to be improving.

4. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    Is there a work around to resolve the UI being slow ?

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida

Just verifying, you don't have any external DECA units touching the HR24's correct? HR24's have them built in so no connections should be made directly to external DECA units or the ethernet ports on the HR24's.

6. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Have you tried this:

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The only Explanation I know about involving the Black Screen is that the Tuner did not properly Sync to the Incoming Signal so it is Receiving No Audio/Packets therefor the Black or Blank Screen which also can Result in the same thing if a Series Link issues a Channel Change Request but there is a Timing Problem and the Tuner does not Properly Sync Up to or Lock onto the Signal.

Try Channel Up or Channel Down and see if it properly syncs to the signal and displays a Picture and that new channel.

Of course this is just my theory about what is happening so check it out and see if that works rather than having to Reboot the DVR.

8. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    To speed things up after using the apps I hit the active button then exit and it seems to take care of the oroblem

9. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    To keep things Speedy I Refuse to Use Apps because of all of the problems it creates as well as DLB or DP.

10. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    No, I don't have external DECA units. Only the ones built into the HR24s.

I want to apologize to everybody in this thread for taking so long to get back to the forum after the initial post. Bad week at work!

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Of all the useless things they've put on the HRs, I think the Apps and Active thing are right at the top of the list. I have all the info the Apps supply on my computers in much more detail. But, it seems as if once we've got this stuff, it never goes away. I still don't see what good DLBs do and I've tried them a couple times.

Rich

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Dual Live Buffers was Great on TiVo because all you did once you had your 2 Channels Selected was to Hit the Previous Button and it would automatically Pause your place in the Buffer and switch to the other Channel where it would Unpause or start Playing the other Recording's Buffer at the point where it had been Paused.

So you could switch between two games or Golf and Football Game, etc. Very Nice and Easy to Operate and it didn't seem to slow down the CPU like DoublePlay does on the HR2X DVRs. That is why I don't use it along with many other problems I believe are caused by the Overuse of the CPU for things (or too many concurrent tasks at the same time) that it was not designed to do.

That is why Directv finally went to a Faster CPU with more RAM in the HR24 Series of DVRs because of the Overtaxed and Overworked CPU!!!

13. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    The "Active" channel is a waste, and takes up very valuable real estate on the remote.

I like some of the apps though - it would be nice if D* would add some more useful applications though.

14. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    And valuable space on the satellite

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Why not use the Active Button to Display the ToDo List???