1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

my internet connection doesnt support watch now

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shaun-ohio, Jan 25, 2013.

1. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    what does this exactly mean? because it will watch trailers, and record on demand programs without any problems, but it wont let me watch now on demand programs

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It means that your internet download speed is too slow for "real time" viewing. You'll need to start downloading those OnDemand shows, wait several minutes/hours, then you can view them.

What type of internet service do you have?
    What's your download speed (check at http://www.speedtest.net)?

3. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    i have cable rr thru timewarner

download speed is 8.34 mbps
    upload speed is 2.05 mbps

it is wired from my router to the hr34

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Well, 8Mbps is probably about the lower limit for "Watch Now". Just download those shows/movies the "old" way and start viewing after they've downloaded for a few minutes (the progress bar will turn green).

5. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Since Time Warner will consider DIRECTV a competitor, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they rate limit downloads from DIRECTV servers.

6. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I have that problem on my HR34 but not the HR24. So hopefully it's just a software bug that will be fixed.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    And if they got caught doing that, they'd be in trouble.

8. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Have Time Warner and no programs with Watch Now on a HR24 but the HR34 fails, it's not Time Warner.

9. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    That would be an anti-competition/anti-trust problem. Comcast has had to remove it's download limits (at least temporarily) because they allowed unlimited from their own sources and not from others such as netflix.

10. p3pilot

p3pilot DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    Same here. I let it download last night until about the 92% mark and it still wouldn't play until it was completely finished. The download progress bar had turned from red, to yellow, to green, but still no go.

11. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    now it tells me no internet connection when i click on watch now after the green bar goes all the way over, so they cant tell me its not on dtv end because the internet is working fine went over all the settings on the hr34 and it tells me i am connected to the internet because the tv apps and everything is working fine, and i have it wired from the router to the hr34.

12. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If it's finished download the the program should show up in your playlist.

13. CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach Mentor

Jan 29, 2013
    This is what I had to do. Super annoying.