1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My next testing project

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Wolffpack, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 9, 2006 #1 of 96
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Well my next little exercise with the R15 is to run identical SLs/SPs on one of my Tivos as I am the R15. I have setup the same with 22 SLs/SPs and 2 Autorecords/Wishlists. I set these up today and will officially start the test tomorrow (08/10). Tonight I will review the todo lists from each unit and on the 11th I will review the actual recorded shows and report back here. If you're interested here are the SLs/SPs.

Code:
    [B]Priority   Show Title                                       Channel   KAM   Show Type	   Notes[/B]
    1          Rescue Me                                        FX        All   First Run
    2          Deadwood                                         HBOH      All   First Run
    3          Last Comic Standing                              KPNXDT    5     First Run
    4          Eureka                                           SCFI      5     First Run
    5          Feasting on Asphalt                              FOOD      All   First Run
    6          CSI: Crime Scene Investigation                   KPHODT    5     First Run
    7          Who Wants to Be a Superhero?                     SCFI      5     First Run
    8          Life on Mars                                     BBCA      5     Repeats & FR
    9          Paula's Home Cooking                             FOOD      10    Repeats & FR
    10         Good Eats                                        FOOD      5     Repeats & FR
    11         America's Test Kitchen From Cook's Illustrated   KAETDT2   5     Repeats & FR
    12         Mind of Mencia                                   COM       10    First Run
    13         Extreme Engineering                              DSHD      5     Repeats & FR
    14         Guy's Big Bite                                   FOOD      5     Repeats & FR
    15         The Dead Zone                                    USA       5     Repeats & FR
    16         The Twilight Zone                                SCFI      All   Repeats & FR   Padded 2 mins before and after
    17         The Daily Show With Jon Stewart                  COM       5     First Run
    18         Unwrapped                                        FOOD      5     Repeats & FR
    19         Dirty Jobs                                       DSC       5     First Run
    20         Chappelle's Show                                 COM       All   Repeats & FR
    21         South Park                                       COM       5     Repeats & FR
    22         HACKMAN                                                    All   Repeats & FR   Wishlist/Autorecord
    23         LITHGOW, JOHN                                              All   Repeats & FR   Wishlist/Autorecord
    24         The 4400                                         USA       5     First Run

I'll be testing the R15 against a HR10-250 running 3.1.5. Both have dual SAT feeds. Some programs on the HR10 are set to record on HD channels and the R15 will record on the corresponding SD channel.

2. Aug 9, 2006 #2 of 96
    klwillis

klwillis Legend

Apr 11, 2006
    Good Luck.
    Very interesting.

3. Aug 9, 2006 #3 of 96
    wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    This should be interesting!

(btw, thanks to everyone who do all these tests. I wish I had the time....)

4. Aug 9, 2006 #4 of 96
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Who said anyone has time? :eek2:

5. Aug 9, 2006 #5 of 96
    Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    For anyone that would like to track what I'm tracking, here you go. Here's a PDF of the master SL/SP list as stated above. I've also included the TDL review for shows scheduled to record tomorrow. Note the showing of Wyatt Earp which the R15 currently thinks it can record while also recording two other shows. Interesting to see how this is handled.

6. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Isn't it just going to record a partial?

7. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006

I am already doing something similiar. I have my R-10 and two R-15s loaded up identical. I need to use 2 R-15s as I have so many SP's on the R-10.

I am not keeping exact records like your doing but so far the DirecTiVo R-10 is working flawless but I think we knew it would.

8. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    While my test didn't officially start until 12:00 am this morning, I did see something interesting in the recordings last night.

Between 10:00-11:00 pm last night the following shows in my list were being aired.

• 10:00 - 10:30 Twilight Zone
    • 10:30 - 11:00 Twilight Zone
    • 10:00 - 10:30 The Daily Show
    • 10:00 - 11:00 The 4400
    My SL/SP has priorities set for TZ, then TDS, then 4400. I also had set TZ to pad 2 minutes before and after.

Here's what the Tivo did:
    • Recorded the first TZ starting at 9:58 and ending at 10:32 (34 minutes)
    • Recorded the second TZ starting at 10:28 ending at 11:02 (34 minutes)
    • Recorded the 10:00pm episode (Thursday's episode) of TDS this morning at 5:00 am (30 minutes)
    • 4400 originally aired on 08/06 so it was not scheduled to record
    Here's what the R15 did:
    • Recorded the first TZ starting at 9:58 but stopped at 10:28 (32 minutes)
    • Recorded TDS at starting at 10:00 ending at 10:30 (30 minutes)
    • Recorded the second TZ starting at 10:28 ending at 11:00 (32 minutes)
    • Recorded the last half of 4400 starting at 10:30 ending at 11:00 (30 minutes)
    I my mind the Tivo handled the recordings as it should have. I have no idea what type of logic the R15 is using. I have the TZ SL coded to pad 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after, the R15 chose not to pad after. Is that a bug or by design?

The R15 recorded the last half of 4400 even though it was not a FR. It shouldn't have even tried but we all understand the FR logic problems. What I don't understand is why the R15 would think recording the last half of a show as acceptable? Is this a bug or by design?

The second recording of TZ will not play. Black screen and frozen timeline bar. I can press FF and I can see FF1 FF2 FF3 and FF4 but nothing happens. If I jump to end (holding down the slip button) it does jump to 30 seconds before the end of the show. From that point I can RR back to almost the beginning. If I RR too far it gets to the start and will not play again. It does have the entire show recorded (well minus the 2 minutes) but it's tough to get to.

In looking at the TDL between the Tivo and R15 the Tivo has 143 TDL items (not including Tivo and DVR service items) through 08/22. The R15 has 99 items through 08/20. While I was looking at the TDL on the R15 last night, items were changing frequently. The TDL on the Tivo seems to have been set and I have not seen any changes.

So far today, the R15 has recorded the shows I expected it to record. Full report tomorrow.

9. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    You might want to take Last Comic Standing off the list. That ended Wed.

10. wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Not sure I agree....sounds like the TIVO used BOTH of its tuners to record 'discrete' TZs with both paddings....forcing it to find an alternate TDS.

The R-15 made a clumsy attempt at recognizing it could handle both TZ with ONE tuner, and still record TDS the first time around along with half of the 4400.

Granted the results are a little screwy....have to go to the second recording to see the last 2 minutes of the 2nd TZ which has no end padding, and 4400 is useless as a both a repeat AND half an episode.

I would hazard a guess that maybe the R15 software is trying to 'overthink' situations and this leads to the bizarre result we occasionally get.

You gotta admit the R-15 ran both tuners for the full hour and recorded everything it possibly could...and finished the tasks set it within the hour.
    The TIVO had tuners sitting idle, and wasn't done till the next morning as it waited for a TDS repeat. :D

11. mikewolf13

mikewolf13 Icon

Jan 30, 2006
    First off I commend your efforts. And generaly i agree with everything you have said.

I think a legitimate reason the R15 records partials is to resolve instances where a show runs long by schedule or pad and you may want 58 minutes of the 11pm show after TZ ends..where as Tivo would not record it at all and if there was not a re-airing you could miss it. (assuming other tuner otherwise occupied and 11pm show is not on TZ channel)

Now of course I think this logic is incomplete as 30 min of an hour show is silly but 58 min of 60 min show may be good.

Again the logic/design is somewhat baffling. They took what might be a good idea, and messed it up (maybe that should be the slogan):lol:

If you can test this , how come they couldn't? Who thought 30 min of 60 min show was good idea? :nono2:

If you are gonna put a limit on SL and TDL don't you test at 50 SL?? Especially if those limits are (as rumored) there by design to enhance stability.:confused:

I eagelrly anticpate your results.

12. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006

I think there was a discussion on the best way to record partials a few weeks ago.

While 30 minutes of a 60 minute show might not be good most of the time, I can think of lots of occassions when it is better than nothing (such as a sporting event where you still get to see some of the show, or a reality show where your primary interest is who go eliminated, or a news magazine where my interest is mostly in a story at the end of the show).

Ideally, I would want the machine to record the partial, note that it is a partial, and attempt to also record the full show when it is available. That gives me the flexibility to watch or ignore the partial recording. But I get to make the choice.

13. wohlfie

wohlfie Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Yeah...I agree.....better to record too much than too little...AS LONG AS IT LOOKS for a chance to record the whole thing later....

14. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Exactly, I like that they made it record when it can but don't mark it off as you record it and bypass the next showings (same goes for singal loss and power loss)

15. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I would prefer zero partials like the DirecTiVos do as everytime I get one I get pissed and just delete it.

16. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I agree, no partials and just have the history tell me exactly why the show didn't record.

17. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Disagree. I would want the partial and the option to watch it or delete it. I don't like machines making needless decisions for me.

18. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Partials are a good idea, only if they record the next showing. You might even run into a case where you'll get two partials one with the begining and one with the end and some overlap in between. I always was upset that the UTV wouldn't do that. I think it's about a 50/50 shot is a partial is a good thing. Might as well work it in since half the time it is a good idea it's just not a good idea unless it records a full showing (if it can later). I understand why you wouldn't want them but there's no reason it shouldn't if it can. right now the way it is doesn't work. Hopefully they will fix it to pick up the next showing too if it can.

19. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    But it is making the decision to only record part of the show. I just don't like that I only get to watch a small portion of a show. I have no desire to watch the first 15-30 minutes of a 60 minute show or the last 15-30 minutes of a 60 minute show and so on. Just doesn't make sense. If I record a show I want to see all of it or none of but thats just me.

20. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Clint -- My ideal (the machine records the partial, notes that it is a partial, and attempts to also record the full show when it is available) gives you the option you want:

Don't watch the partial, and watch the whole thing when it is recorded.

But it also allows the choice to watch the partial for those who want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.