1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My oldest HR 21-100 has died

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by nibyak, Mar 9, 2012.

1. nibyak

nibyak Mentor

Dec 7, 2005
    Rural VA
    It looks like one of my old HR 21-100s has finally died. It’s running the receiver self test and gets to the “almost there” screen then starts running the receiver self test over and over and over. DirecTV is sending a replacement and didn’t even give us a hard time about it. I’m not sure exactly how old it is but I believe we got it sometime in 2008. Now to see what model of DVR shows up in the mail.

2. dshank522

dshank522 Cool Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Good Luck !

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    2008 is "old"?? One of my R15's is from 2007 and the other one was manufactured in 2005 (I got it "refurbished" in 2007). Oh, and "refurbished" means "put in another box" because I noted that it had it's original motherboard and HDD both dated 2005!

Don't be surprised if you get another HR21!

4. giantsfan

giantsfan New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    My daughter's HR20/100 died about two weeks ago and she got an HR24/500 as a replacement and they also set her up for internet wi-fi for free!!

5. nibyak

nibyak Mentor

Dec 7, 2005
    Rural VA
    I wasn’t trying to state that it was really old, just my oldest. It was the first HD box I got with the tax stimulus check from George Bush. We have 4 other HD DVRs, all HR 21s of some variety. When we got Whole House installed last year they replaced and old R-15 and an old SD Tivo unit that was really old. The big problem is that since it’s the oldest it was recording some of our oldest favorite shows. I had to try and figure out what wasn’t being recorded. We almost never actually watch the TV that’s it’s connected to (just use the Whole House sharing), I just happened to notice that the blue ring was spinning so I checked it out. Just for fun I plugged it back in on Saturday and it did nothing. The network lights blinked and then it was just a brick. Hopefully the new one shows up soon.

6. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    My HR20-700 is still going from 2006. *knocks on wood*

7. nibyak

nibyak Mentor

Dec 7, 2005
    Rural VA
    I got an HR21-700 replacement. From the warranty sticker on the back I see that it’s a refurb. It looks new and works. It booted up with the old GUI and I had already forgotten how bad it looked (it updated to the new software shortly after power up). I had no problems getting it to work with the SWM or the network. I assume the guide will be fully populated when I get home from work tonight and I’ll get it all programmed for my recordings.