1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My one month old HR23 thinks it's out of space, but it isn't...!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by adam1115, Dec 28, 2009.

1. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Went to record a new show and it told me it was out of space to add another series.

But it isn't, it's only 40% full... What gives!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    There is a limit on how many entries you can have in the Series Manager. Its probably not out of space on the hard drive, but out of space in the series manager.

3. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Ok, under manage records I have 50 items in series manager. Surely it's not limited to 50?? That's insane, there are 4 of us. Guess we have to start rationing shows, what a stupid limit!

Our TiVo had 120 season passes on it.

4. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Sad but true, the HR2x can only have 50 series links. So to setup another, you will need to delete and existing one.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yep, 50 is the limit. That's why I have two DVRs :) We have been asking for an increase in the limit for a couple years now, but no go.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    There are work-arounds to the 50 limit. They involve boolean searches & auto records. For example, a proper entry could record about 3-4 shows on 1 network. Let's assume you like Fox's (assuming it's channel 9)shows Bones, Dollhouse, Fringe, & House. This will combined what would be 4 series links into 1. AANY Bones Dollhouse Fringe House TTITLE CCHAN 9

Try here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1042604&postcount=29

Examples: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2192313#post2192313

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    This may also be the bug that shows up now and then. A restart will fix the incorrect reporting of space available.
    My HR21 got so low that it started to delete programs, yet it only had about 8 shows listed. Before the restart it reported about 10% free, after the restart it went up to 70%.

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Ahhhhh...the 50 series limit issue....from the title heading...I thought the OP was going to be talking about filling up his hard drive. :eek2:

No know plans to expand that 50 limit....but you can:

1) Use the boolean logic another poster proposed
    2) Get another HD DVR
    3) Try an onside kick and hope to recover the ball....oh no wait....that's not right.

9. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    No known plans to expand that 50 limit....but you can:

1) Use the Boolean Logic (which is pretty clever I must add) that another poster (sigma1914) proposed
    2) Get another HD DVR such as an HR23-700
    3) Buy another HR23-700 (OWNED DVR) and replace the Internal Hard Drive with a WD20EADS Hard Drive and you will have 100 Series Links plus 2,000 Gigabyes of Recording Space.

10. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Thank you! That's excellent!

The wording of the error isn't very good. It makes it sound like you're ou t of space.

Wait, what....???? :confused:

I have an HR23, It has an external 1 TB hard drive. How does the hard drive size affect series link limits? Or is it something to do with that model?

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The key words were "buy another HR"....50 per dvr then....

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The Key Word is indeed, buy another DVR and then make sure you have enough space to record all of those 100 Series Links. If you are having that many Series Links you will probably run out of space very quickly as I have run out with 3,000 Gig in my Den downstairs.

You had better do a lot of maintenance if you don't have enough space.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If another DVR seems excessive, try the advanced search using autorecords for your favorites...

Here's an example of an easy way to whittle down your number of series links..

I record several shows on USA each week(Burn Notice, White Collar, In Plain Sight) by using something like this:

AANY NOTICE COLLAR PLAIN TTITLE CCHAN 242

This is a keyword search that takes 3 series links down to one, saving 2 precious slots for other series links. Do this for 4 or 5 other sets of 2-3 shows and you've saved 6-8 SL's. Records fine every week...

EDIT: There are many other ways to do this but I have found this to work best for me by grouping shows on the same channel. if you don't include TTITLE in the search it will look through the descriptions as well. With some shows not always having a good unique word in the show title it helps to try and pick the best one you can find, and it cuts down on the DVR trying to record shows with one of the words in the description instead of just looking at the show title.

14. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    I can't afford and don't need more than one HD-DVR. the mention of a specific model hard drive was confusing. A single one with a TB of space which I have is fine, but the 50 series links limitation is silly. I can't believe the designers thought that would be sufficient with families...

Thanks for the suggestions on workarounds!!

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    adam1115,

Most of us agree that the limitation is a tough one to work around, but it can be managed a lot of the time.

16. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Thanks! The keyword searches should solve the issue!

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Also, if you have a bunch of shows that air one after another you can just set up a manual recording instead of multiple series links. I do this for CBS on Monday nights to get How I Met Your Mother, Accidentally On Purpose, 3 & 1/2 Men, Big Bang Theory. One manual recording gets all of them, instead of 4 series links. The only problem with this is that it will record reruns, and other items that may pre-empt the shows.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    One thing to consider when using the ARSL's is that all shows that are recorded due to the ARSL appear in one folder in the PlayList. So, you could have a folder that contains episodes from multiple shows.

- Merg

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you used an ARSL similar to my example, it would cut down on re-runs considerably while still only using 1 SL slot.

How about:

AANY MOTHER PURPOSE MEN THEORY TTITLE CCHANXX-X where xx-x is your specific local channel

20. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Legend

Dec 29, 2007
    NE Atlanta...
    50!?! Dang, son, you are more of a timeshifting bandit than my wife and I combined! :D